Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 8th April 2016, 08:10 AM
photowaffle

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOReynolds View Post
I used to set up printers and analysers in labs. From time to time I also had to deal with complaints and I became familiar with technical failures.
Photowaffle's print showed severe underexposure - perhaps two or more stops? At that amount of underexposure I don't think the brand or type of film, or the scanner, would have much to do with the result.
As Mike O'Pray said 'Colour neg film can stand quite a bit of overexposure but only a little bit of underexposure.'
Thanks, nice to know! Since this happening, I have put a sticker on my camera saying:

"Remember to check ISO!"

Here is another example with the same settings.

Bit blurry, but it would have been OK otherwise.

Last edited by photowaffle; 8th April 2016 at 08:15 AM.
Old 8th April 2016, 07:14 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOReynolds View Post
Photowaffle's print showed severe underexposure - perhaps two or more stops? At that amount of underexposure I don't think the brand or type of film, or the scanner, would have much to do with the result.
'
I'd agree except that Photowaffle said in answer to my question that it was only 1 stop underexposed. It might be that C200 can't stand even one stop under or there are other issues with camera and metering resulting in say two stops under.

If the other scans of prints are OK and the above one looks much better then I'd be tempted to conclude that either the scanner settings changed or there is a combination of light/ metering/ shutter/aperture that has resulted in the really "foggy " one

Mike
Old 8th April 2016, 07:29 PM
photowaffle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
I'd be tempted to conclude that either the scanner settings changed or there is a combination of light/ metering/ shutter/aperture that has resulted in the really "foggy " one
So, my camera went wrong? Or a user error?

If it is...
Old 9th April 2016, 06:57 AM
Friend

I don't think that there is anything particularly wrong with either the camera or the operator except the incorrect film speed bei9ng set and the circumstances/situation where the picture was taken.

I would run another film through set at the correct speed and see what happens. I have a feeling everything will turn out just right.
Old 9th April 2016, 12:00 PM
photowaffle

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by John King View Post
I would run another film through set at the correct speed and see what happens. I have a feeling everything will turn out just right.
I shot 10 shots on the wrong ISO (400), realised and set the ISO to 200. The rest of the film was good, here is one that was ISO 200 on the SAME film.

Old 9th April 2016, 04:12 PM
Friend

Nothing wrong with the trees, I'd agree. Can we see how the 400 shot of it looks for comparison?

I may also have misunderstood what you said about the flower bed shot. I thought that was 400 as well but maybe you were demonstrating that this is what a 200 shot looks like

If the flower bed was 400 as well and it looks fine then I am flummoxed about why the road and trees scene was as "foggy" as it was

Mike
Old 9th April 2016, 05:08 PM
photowaffle

The trees were not shot at 400 ISO, only 200 ISO. The flowers were however shot at 400 ISO. Flummoxed you be.

Tags
c200, colour, film is not dead
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies