Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Site Forums > News and Announcements

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 31st October 2019, 04:38 PM
Friend

Default Kodak HC-110

Kodak HC-110

I have been using HC-110 for years and it's never been hard to buy but recently (although I have some) I have noticed many suppliers are out of stock.

This is strange because the rumor mill indicates Kodak are keeping it going, although it's not clear who now makes it, and the formula may have changed. But in my experience with a newish bottle of HC 110 it performs exactly like the HC 110 I was using 20 + years ago. I am even using the same developing times.

The other thing I've noticed is the price is creeping up every time I look!

Hopefully this current supply problem is just a blip and it will become easy to buy once again.

If you are running low on HC 110, or want to stock up, I have just ordered some from our sponsor, The Imaging Warehouse, at a good price.

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 31st October 2019, 04:55 PM
Banned

https://filmphotographyproject.com/c...-formula-2019/

Which may explain it

Old 31st October 2019, 04:57 PM
Banned

The old

https://www.digitaltruth.com/product...loper-MSDS.pdf

The new

https://imaging.kodakalaris.com/site...mistry/j24.pdf
Old 31st October 2019, 04:58 PM
Friend

The developer has been completely reformulated according to Kodak themselves. That's probably why it's in short supply as old stock is phased out and production of the new version is increased.

HC-110 has been changed before switching Pyrocatechin with Hydroquinone but that's less significant than what's essentially a different developer with the same properties. Part of the manufacture of HC-110 was quite complex.

Ian
Old 31st October 2019, 05:09 PM
Friend

The shelf life of the latest version (2019) will remain unknown for quite some time. That's important for casual users to understand. I still have a few of the pint (438ml) bottles - known to last indefinitely - from a massive purchase years ago, probably enough to last me until I croak. I would caution casual users to avoid buying large amounts of the new stuff until shelf life data begins to dribble in.
Old 31st October 2019, 06:05 PM
Friend

Thanks everyone - I am pleased to learn HC-110 is to continue and the supply blip is just a temporary one.

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 31st October 2019, 07:11 PM
Friend

Yes as Jerry says there is no way to know at this early stage if the new HC110 will have the same almost legendary keeping properties as the old stuff but you'd imagine that Kodak would have some knowledge based on its chemistry of how long the new stuff will keep

However on a thread on Photrio I laid all the posts on this subject together and still could not come to a conclusion as the joke used to go for economists and the need for a definite decision

From what I could glean no-one had attempted to get an answer from Kodak or if they have then they kept to themselves(most unlikely) or Kodak wasn't prepared to give an answer

Mike
Old 31st October 2019, 07:45 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
Yes as Jerry says there is no way to know at this early stage if the new HC110 will have the same almost legendary keeping properties as the old stuff but you'd imagine that Kodak would have some knowledge based on its chemistry of how long the new stuff will keep

However on a thread on Photrio I laid all the posts on this subject together and still could not come to a conclusion as the joke used to go for economists and the need for a definite decision

From what I could glean no-one had attempted to get an answer from Kodak or if they have then they kept to themselves(most unlikely) or Kodak wasn't prepared to give an answer

Mike

I usually decant the 1 liter of HC-110 into two 500mm brown bottles and use one (with an inert gas on the top) and store the other in my fridge. I only use 500mm of HC-110 per year so if the new stuff keeps for two years, stored like this, that will do me

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 1st November 2019, 02:11 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by B&W Neil View Post
Kodak HC-110

I have been using HC-110 for years and it's never been hard to buy but recently (although I have some) I have noticed many suppliers are out of stock.

This is strange because the rumor mill indicates Kodak are keeping it going, although it's not clear who now makes it, and the formula may have changed. But in my experience with a newish bottle of HC 110 it performs exactly like the HC 110 I was using 20 + years ago. I am even using the same developing times.

The other thing I've noticed is the price is creeping up every time I look!

Hopefully this current supply problem is just a blip and it will become easy to buy once again.

If you are running low on HC 110, or want to stock up, I have just ordered some from our sponsor, The Imaging Warehouse, at a good price.

Neil.
Hi Neil,
How about writing a review of this developer and why you like it on the imaging warehouse website? I have read that it last well stored as a concentrate.

Keith.
Old 1st November 2019, 02:25 PM
Friend

https://www.reddit.com/r/AnalogCommu...ts_noticeable/
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies