Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 28th January 2020, 09:00 PM
Friend

Default Supply problems

This is getting almost to epidemic proportions. I spent several hours last Friday phoning round to buy colour processing materials and film from the usual suspects.

The supply of C41 and RA4 is in my appreciation, a bit like a lottery. Only one dealer had both chemicals at a quite inflated price compared to my last lot. I didn't want to pay twice for carriage from different suppliers which would have just about balanced the price difference for the goods.

Kodak or Fuji 200iso colour film in 36 exp cassettes is next to impossible to find unless you buy the top priced version. I have enough film to see me for a couple of months so I declined.

Is it possible that there is ACTUALLY a larger resurgence in film photography that we think and this has caught the manufacturers off guard? I would like to think so, if there is they may actually get their fingers out and increase production.
Old 29th January 2020, 08:42 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by B&W Neil View Post
Mitch,

That's unlike Silverprint, did you contact them at all ?

They were slow to supply the ADOX FB paper I ordered a short while ago but the rest of my order arrived OK and they kept me updated. ALso the Adox was known to have a supply problem.

Too late now I know but I've always found that Silverprint respond well to emails and telephone calls.

Neil.
Hi Neil,

I have always had good service from Silverprint including quick delivery. The products I had ordered were all ordinary ilford chemicals.

Yes I did get intouch and as you say they responded well.

I also find silverprint expensive, some of the products i use I can only get from them.

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Old 29th January 2020, 08:46 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by John King View Post
This is getting almost to epidemic proportions. I spent several hours last Friday phoning round to buy colour processing materials and film from the usual suspects.

The supply of C41 and RA4 is in my appreciation, a bit like a lottery. Only one dealer had both chemicals at a quite inflated price compared to my last lot. I didn't want to pay twice for carriage from different suppliers which would have just about balanced the price difference for the goods.

Kodak or Fuji 200iso colour film in 36 exp cassettes is next to impossible to find unless you buy the top priced version. I have enough film to see me for a couple of months so I declined.

Is it possible that there is ACTUALLY a larger resurgence in film photography that we think and this has caught the manufacturers off guard? I would like to think so, if there is they may actually get their fingers out and increase production.
Like you I have noticed that it is impossible to get both types of colour products from the same supplier and the price is through the roof.

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Old 29th January 2020, 09:01 AM
Friend

I was told that the web site was to be updated to show whether something was in stock or not. I got the impression from the person I spoke to that they had been waiting for sometime and not to hold my breath.

I think it was a big mistake to move to the south coast and that the people running it have over stretched there finances stopping them investing in the things that count.

Silverprint has a great range of product something its competitors should look to. If there was more competition maybe things would be less expensive and easier to get.

Old 29th January 2020, 01:02 PM
Friend

Quote:

This is the theme that is being purported on Photrio by someone who seems to make it his business to report on "film matters" and seemingly his reports are reinforced by users' experiences

However the film resurgence would seem to have little connection to the C41/RA4 chemical issue Yes there was the Tetenal problem a few months ago which might explain it but only if Tetenal make Kodak chemicals as well and this may be the case

it is all rather confused and I have great difficulty getting to the truth the whole truth and nothing but the truth as they say in court

Mike
Old 29th January 2020, 02:06 PM
Friend

I have only used Silverprint once when they had the 10% sale last year and it was very quick delivery for some Fomapan stuff and ilford developer
Old 29th January 2020, 03:54 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
This is the theme that is being purported on Photrio by someone who seems to make it his business to report on "film matters" and seemingly his reports are reinforced by users' experiences

However the film resurgence would seem to have little connection to the C41/RA4 chemical issue Yes there was the Tetenal problem a few months ago which might explain it but only if Tetenal make Kodak chemicals as well and this may be the case

it is all rather confused and I have great difficulty getting to the truth the whole truth and nothing but the truth as they say in court

Mike
Tetenal did make the Kodak chemicals, now they are made in South america, I think, I don't know why, unless the same thing happened as happened to Champion when they made the Kodak chemicals,and owed them a lot of monety, but Tetenal are still the biggest chemical makers in Germany, they make the Ilford chemicals,but I believe that Kodak Alaris have almost stopped suppkying the amatuer market bue to the large backorders from pro markets, which will make Kodak film and Chemistry in very short supply for, in their own words, the foreseeable future until all orders are caught up, Certainly Kodak B?W films seem to be in short supply
Richard
Old 29th January 2020, 04:43 PM
Friend

Default Manufacturer of Kodak Chemicals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post

Mike
Unless they have changed, my last bottles of Ektacolour RA4 Dev and blix according to the labels describing the contents were manufactured in China. I don't think Tetenal have owt to do with them
Old 29th January 2020, 04:51 PM
Friend

I have used Silverprint a lot for my chemistry, film and paper and have never had anything but efficient service from them and I don't find them expensive either.
Bill E
Old 29th January 2020, 05:29 PM
Friend

Quote:
Unless they have changed, my last bottles of Ektacolour RA4 Dev and blix according to the labels describing the contents were manufactured in China. I don't think Tetenal have owt to do with them
They were made by Tetenal, my last kodak chemistry, their HCA, says mde in EU, that was bought a while ago, but maybe due to Tetenal on bthey changed producer, but according to Kodad Alaris all Kodak film and chemicals are going to be almost unavailable for some time due to supply problems, namely the pro market is so far backordered that until Kodak can increase supply the amateur market will be very low on the list.and that is one reason for the massive hike, I personally think that Kodak is trying to use thye analouge market as a cash cow, as reports coming out of the USA seem to indicate that Kodak is again in money troubles, maybe it is time to switch makers?, I again personally use very little from Kodak, stopped using their films a long time ago, mainly their HCA and I have used their D76, but my last was ID11, which is the same and a bit cheaper these days, I have used their color plus film for special shots, but again not for a few years as I don't shoot colour today, so I suppose it is a case of wait and see what they do, sadly but for color workers there are at least alternatives such as cini still, and others if you search for them
Richard

Tags
orders, silverprint, trouble
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies