Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Site Forums > Introductions

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 29th April 2009, 07:12 PM
Friend

Default Hi and Greeting from the Thames Valley England

I'm so glad I've recently joined this forum as I too am dedicated and passionate about analogue photography. Not only do I enjoy the creative and artistic opportunities B&W film photography offers me but I find it also good for my soul. For example, when I got depressed or frustrated in the past (as I've spent the last 6 years as a 24/7 full time home carer for both my disabled parents), I usually end up going out on a short photo-shot and then spending some quality time developing my films and setting up the enlarger/kit in a makeshift darkroom in the kitchen as a way of unwinding. The end result really makes me feel good and instills personal confidence in my abilities.

As both my parents recently passed away last christmas, I now have to refocus my life regarding my future (pity we're in a really bad reccession now) - however, still got to be positive.

Anyway, I've really put my heart and time into practicing my photography at every opportunity with a view to prehaps someday in the future of making photography my career and self employed artist/business. Not this year anyway, need to build pratical skills first and for the economy to improve. When the times right, I plan on using my transferable business skills from running my own computer IT/Consultancy for 6 years during the last reccession in the 90's.

I now have a part time job teaching both IT and Photography courses to a mix of students in a Adult & Community Learning sector which I enjoy dispite 99% of my learners on the photography sessions been Digital.

Now, a big thank you to Dave Miller (admin) who really inspired me about a year ago with his photo/write up on him building himself a outdoor shed/darkroom I saw over his setup over at the English Eye website. This prompted me to get my act together and start my own darkroom building project. It's nearly finished and is quite useable already, just sorting out the finishing touches. (Photos to follow soon).

It's 3m square (10x10 ft). I've got hot and cold water facilities installed together with mains power all coming in from the house underground to the darkroom (about 20 feet from kitchen). Had the utililities put in before the new lawn went down.

Air Conditioned/Heating unit (inside) - compressor unit outside. New fitted kitchen units installed together with a 5 ft fibre-glass darkroom sink heated towel rail and a nice cosy chair/stool.

I'm using an LPL 7700MX enlarger, Dunco 16x12 4-blade easel, Nova Trimate and an RH Designs Zonemaster II.

The finances for my darkroom project came from my parents as a good will thank you present before they passed away. Maybe this is why I am very keen to make full use of it and move on in life. I'm sure this is what they wanted me to do.

Dispite me teaching the basics of practical photography, exposure, composition, lighting etc., I've have so much to learn myself about producing quality darkroom prints. Therefore, I look forward to been part of your photo community! and welcome all constructive comments, tips and advice. Thanks

Cheers everyone.

p.s. I'm a bad speller, so apologies for any typos etc.
Old 29th April 2009, 07:49 PM
Friend

A very warm welcome to you, and I'm pleased to read that my article was of some use.
As an aside, if you are using Firefox as your browser there is a spell check add on available. I find it invaluable.
Old 29th April 2009, 07:52 PM
Administrator

Welcome apxuser, sounds like a great darkroom.
Old 29th April 2009, 07:53 PM
Friend

Welcome APXUSER to fadu, I found your introduction most honest and moving (to hell with spelling, truth will always shine through). May I wish you good luck in your following your dream and be sure and share your work with us as you go.

Cheers
vincent
Old 29th April 2009, 08:58 PM
Friend

A warm welcome apxuser, may you enjoy the peace and tranquillity of your new darkroom for many years to come!
Old 29th April 2009, 09:30 PM
Friend

Welcome to FADU and good luck with your new darkroom
Old 29th April 2009, 11:21 PM
Friend

Welcome APXuser, and enjoy your new darkroom. Do you have a stash of Agfa APX film as your name hints?
Old 29th April 2009, 11:35 PM
Friend

A very warm welcome from me. We've corresponded twice so are already old friends. Not often that anyone can expect useful info from a new member on joining but I have received just that from you.

The rate of info return here is pretty spectacular given our overall membership which is still small.

Mike
Old 30th April 2009, 06:42 AM
Moderator & Keeper of the Calendar

Welcome to FADU. Looking forward to seeing your work when your new darkroom is complete.

Bill
Old 30th April 2009, 07:22 AM
Friend

Hello and welcome to FADU. Any chance we could see you in the Lakes?
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies