Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 21st July 2018, 06:35 PM
New User

Default Advice about Jobo ATL 1000 and other equipment

I have had a JOBO ATL 1000 unit knocking around in my storage cupboard for more than a decade, together with an "Intellifaucet", model D250.

The original plan was to build my own photo-processing studio. Then... children happened.

I am in the midst of a major indecision. Should I keep the equipment (my youngest is now seven) or let it go? I have no idea if the JOBO processor actually works - I bought it second hand for about £500, and I have no reason to doubt it functions OK. But I would need to get the JOBO tanks for the unit before testing it out.

I wouldn't go as far as to say I have angels and demons whispering in my ears regarding what to do.

I have enlargers, NOVA tanks and other stuff in my garage too.

Hmmm.

How sought after is this equipment, and would it be in my interest to keep it?

Any help, discussions, comments about my dilemma gratefully received.

All the best

Norm
Old 23rd July 2018, 09:07 AM
Administrator

Hi Norm.

I guess at bottom it depends if you are actually going to use it in future. If not, then there is no point keeping it at whatever price it sells for. If you do want to use it, do you need all of it to meet your future plans?

To determine how wanted the things are, try an ebay search. Use the advanced search to select "sold listings" and it will show you if that item has been sold in the last 3 months. Other than that, a general google search may show any other places such as shops where the item is up for sale.

Good luck either way!
Old 23rd July 2018, 11:48 AM
Friend

Hey Norm!

If you decide to let the Intellifaucet go, then I'd like first dibs please?

I think most of us have experienced the quandary you face.....only you will know what to do.

Mike
Old 24th July 2018, 10:17 PM
Friend

Hi Norm if I were you I'd keep the processing gear until you had absolutely no doubts about ever doing analogue photography again. It can be quite tricky to source good kit and it's becoming more of a niche to make fine prints which sounds like was your intention?
Personally, I hope you'll pick up the habit again as there are too few of us. I am also a father with a young family and even though I don't get anywhere near as much photography done as I'd like I wouldn't consider giving up for as long as I have the space and I keep my expectations realistic.

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950
Old 25th July 2018, 11:26 AM
Friend

If you don't need to get rid, I for one would hang on to it. Like A+E, and the fire and rescue service, I'd rather have it and not need it, then need it and not have it. If it doesn't take up too much space, and not causing too much friction with the domestic authorities, then hang on to it. Situations change over time, and the new situation might be more conducive than your present one? Obviously I speak from a position of ignorance of your current situation, and hindsight is of no practical use, but I read of far too many regrets when it comes too getting rid of stuff. (I wish I'd kept that particular floggletoggle etc., etc.) Always up to you. It's your life, just my twopenn'orth. Hope it helps. If it doesn't, ignore it.

Tags
intellifaucet, jobo atl1000, nova
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies