Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 19th June 2013, 10:55 PM
Friend

Default 20C Fox latest to sign agreement with Kodak

6 of the major Hollywood studios have now signed deals with Kodak for the supply of Motion Picture film - this is very important for stills film because it keeps the extensive production facilities in Rochester rolling:

http://motion.kodak.com/motion/About...13/Jun03_1.htm
Old 20th June 2013, 01:40 AM
Friend

Awesome, but surprising. I thought all of the major Hollywood folks had switched over to the Arri Alexa and the latest range of RED cameras.
Old 20th June 2013, 09:18 AM
Friend

I think film is very hard to beat as an origination medium in motion picture, for a whole host of reasons. What I have found when shooting 16mm colour neg is you can just point and shoot and it always looks great - it always looks like film with the dynamic range and tonality you expect from a movie. I don't think digital is like that, I think it has to be worked at much harder (eg. lighting and post production). In the larger formats and in a large production this must be amplified.

Looking forward to seeing the 65mm in Star Trek Into Darkness.

http://motion.kodak.com/motion/About...ogCategory.htm

Love this:

Quote:
Dan Mindel, ASC, BSC is known for his preference for 35mm anamorphic cinematography. In fact, he knows the serial numbers of his favorite Panavision anamorphic lenses by heart, and knows exactly how each lens will affect a given photographic subject.
Knows the serial numbers of his favorite lenses - remember, all Panavision gear is rented only, you can't buy it - so he is asking for his favorites each time!!

Probably makes some of us here feel a bit better about any obsession we have with equipment.

Last edited by Matt5791; 20th June 2013 at 09:28 AM.
Old 20th June 2013, 09:24 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt5791 View Post
I think film is very hard to beat as an origination medium in motion picture, for a whole host of reasons. What I have found when shooting 16mm colour neg is you can just point and shoot and it always looks great - it always looks like film with the dynamic range and tonality you expect from a movie. I don't think digital is like that, I think it has to be worked at much harder (eg. lighting and post production). In the larger formats and in a large production this must be amplified.

Looking forward to seeing the 65mm in Star Trek Into Darkness.

http://motion.kodak.com/motion/About...ogCategory.htm
I was going to say the first Star Trek was shot on film. I also agree about the dynamic range and tonality it cannot be beaten.

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Old 22nd June 2013, 09:59 PM
Friend

Default Pinewood Studios

Spent a fair bit of time in the projection room at Pinewood Studios. Having looked at REDONE footage put up and then a clean reel of 35mm film it was clear that digital really did have a plastic look to it. I suggested to the projectionist at the time that it would be a good idea to run live feeds from the editing systems straight into the barco digital projector which I think was implemented a few months later. As great as it is, the two 35mm projectors sat next to the big grey box were simply amazing machines. Also, as someone who has done a bit of acting, being in front of a 35mm camera really does put the pressure on to hit it first time and to perfection. Too expensive to bugger up. So pleased to hear that Kodak have a good deal in the bag. I thought that with the high cost of sending prints to the cinemas it would spell the end of it all. Glad to hear that the old troop still insist on film. Lets hope new directors have the same punch and request. I love film.
Old 22nd June 2013, 11:59 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcAeon View Post
Also, as someone who has done a bit of acting, being in front of a 35mm camera really does put the pressure on to hit it first time and to perfection.
It's funny, I get that a lot with models too.

It's like they're just "going through the motions" (not in a bad way, they just tend to experiment and go a bit off-piste more) if I'm shooting with a DSLR or digital medium format.

But, as soon as I whip out a film camera, doesn't matter even if it's just a teeny little Nikkormat, they seem to just hit everything perfectly almost every time, pose, expression, everything. Their whole attitude changes.

I take my N90s with me on every shoot now. I make it obvious that I'm switching to a film body, but don't tell them when I've switched back to a DSLR.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies