Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > New products and offers

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 11th February 2024, 07:31 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry S View Post
wow, what a difference in the first few pictures at ISO 400, with certain colours looking very different on the new film.

Yes.
And the Ortho pics suggest red things becoming black which is right with red-blind Ortho film.
But I can't see any red coloured lips in the Pan pics so to me there is no reason for black lips left side.

The lighting is different which of course will give tonal differences, and I also would expect some more contrast in pan based b&w positives out of professional hands.

But I wouldn't expect Pan film giving exactly the same dense of yellow and red given from the color reference.
Even the whites of the "Fomacolor" sheet play in a comparable tonal range instead of coming out as whites should do.

A complete color reference with colours of background and pullover, too, would me help to clear some doubts.
Old 11th February 2024, 09:10 PM
Friend

Finally got round to printing a few from Foma Ortho negs. I rather like the results although not sure I like them as much as ones from Ilford Ortho 80 negs. The 400 speed is useful but the grain and the lack of an anti-halation layer is a matter of taste. I've got another film to try so watch this space.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wistmans Foma Ortho 1.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	351.2 KB
ID:	4934   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wistmans Foma Ortho 2.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	335.0 KB
ID:	4935  
Old 11th February 2024, 11:54 PM
Friend

nice one rob, very dreamy I know it don't make a difference to the print but what camera did you take them with.

essexcockney.com
Old 12th February 2024, 12:41 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Archer View Post
Finally got round to printing a few from Foma Ortho negs.
The second (sepia toned?) print is the one that I like the best Rob. Lovely print.

I'm not sure that any sign of using an ortho will show up on this type of subject though...?

Terry S

PS. Out of interest Rob, do you mind if I upload an inverted picture of your negative scan next to the b/w print just uploaded. Surprisingly there is quite an unexpected difference between them.

Last edited by Terry S; 12th February 2024 at 12:46 PM.
Old 12th February 2024, 04:30 PM
Friend

Quote:
The second (sepia toned?) print is the one that I like the best Rob. Lovely print.

I'm not sure that any sign of using an ortho will show up on this type of subject though...?

Terry S

PS. Out of interest Rob, do you mind if I upload an inverted picture of your negative scan next to the b/w print just uploaded. Surprisingly there is quite an unexpected difference between them.
No problem Terry. I find an unmanipulated neg scan rarely comes anywhere near the darkroom print.
Old 12th February 2024, 04:32 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by big paul View Post
nice one rob, very dreamy I know it don't make a difference to the print but what camera did you take them with.

essexcockney.com
Mamiya7ii with either an 80 or 50 mm lens. This film is currently only available in 120 and the 6x7 negative means grain isn't as obtrusive as I thought it might be.
Old 13th February 2024, 12:27 PM
Friend

Quote:
No problem Terry. I find an unmanipulated neg scan rarely comes anywhere near the darkroom print.
OK, thanks Rob, I'll do it as soon as possible.

Terry S
Old 15th February 2024, 02:54 PM
Friend

Quote:
Well, here are the two pictures next to each other. As Rob mentions, the (inverted) negative on the left, is quite different to the print that he made, on the right. They are really different overall, which surprised me more than I thought they would.

Terry S
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rob Archer X2 prints compared.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	312.5 KB
ID:	4940  
Old 15th February 2024, 04:03 PM
Friend

Quote:
Well, here are the two pictures next to each other. As Rob mentions, the (inverted) negative on the left, is quite different to the print that he made, on the right. They are really different overall, which surprised me more than I thought they would.

Terry S
If these were both prints from one negative then I'd be tempted to say that one was made at one grade higher

What do I need to conclude from your experiment, Terry?

Is it simply that an inverted negative will never look the same as the corresponding print or that to replicate the look of an inverted negative you need to print at a lower grade and/or a different exposure?

What it does seem to indicate is that what you see on sites that permit inverted negs as "prints" is not necessarily what you will see in a print.

However I presume that with PS or whatever is the capability of the scanning software you can make the inverted print replicate the real print or is this a false assumption on my part?

Yes I realise I am entering the territory of hybrid work and that this may be outside of FADU rules and that's fine if we stop it here

It was just that Terry's experiment prompted my curiosity

Mike
Old 15th February 2024, 04:41 PM
Administrator

One is a (selective) scan of a negative, the other has been through Rob's artistic choices. If it were my shot, the print would look absolutely nothing like the negative

Not sure what I think about the effects of the lack of anti-halation layer. Possibly, with more contrast given by direct sunlight, it might be more prominent. Very atmospheric image either way!

Last edited by Bob; 15th February 2024 at 06:03 PM.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies