Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Member Organised Functions > Print Exchanges

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 1st February 2024, 12:57 PM
Friend

I have just received two interesting prints from Terry. They are from a single negative of Terryís local bandstand, but the prints are very different. A good example of the strength of B&W film in allowing a range of interpretations. I prefer the Ďtonedí version. It lacks the finer detail of the more traditional rendering, but the simplification of shapes produces, in my view, a more satisfying image. It will be interesting to hear what others think.
Thanks to Terry for sending them. They are a great addition to my collection.
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 1st February 2024, 01:37 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexmuir View Post
I have just received two interesting prints from Terry. They are from a single negative of Terryís local bandstand, but the prints are very different.
Alex
Good to hear that the prints arrived promptly Alex and thanks for the comments.

They are now in the gallery and I welcome any comments:

http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.or...php/photo/3250

Terry S
Old 1st February 2024, 02:37 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanFrank View Post
Posted my print this morning.
For this round, Frank has sent to me an interesting print, which has been made from an Ilford SFX film negative. I have only seen pictures in magazines and online of images taken with this film before, so it was good to finally have one in the hand to look at, as ones seen before rarely looked much different to a print made from a 'normal' film negative. Frank hasn't mentioned if a filter was used, but I'm presuming he did, looking at the overall tone of the print. And just looking at the Ilford page for this film, it recommends a dark red filter, and even a light red, orange or yellow filter. As the Ilford page says:

Quote:
When used with a deep red filter, SFX 200 renders blue skies almost black and green vegetation almost white to create a stunning infra-red look to your shots.
The 10 x 8 print that Frank has sent to me, is of a wide area of what I believe to be agricultural land, with the ruins of a castle building being almost central in the print as the main focal point.

The print itself has large areas of very light tone, presumably being the crops growing, and is very reminiscent of an IR film, but as Frank says, without a filter it can be used as an ordinary film, although it would have more sensitivity to the red part of the spectrum.

The print, with its very summery light feel about it, makes me look forward to the warmer and brighter days to come.

I really like the print Frank and it reminded me once more that I have a couple of IR films in the fridge to use, when a bright and sunny few days arrive, giving me time to get out and about with my camera (or two).

Again, many thanks.

Terry S

PS The Ilford page referred to is here:

https://www.ilfordphoto.com/sfx-200-120
Old 1st February 2024, 06:08 PM
Friend

Hi Terry,
Thank you very much for your comment. I used a dark red filter 695, which cuts off this wavelength and not a 715 or more like a full IR filter. I do not like when the wood effect is too strong, though I printed the negative on the lighter side in the end in order to emphasize the dark building. The crop is wine and they make very good pinot gris there.
Cheers, Frank
Old 2nd February 2024, 12:33 PM
Friend

Thanks for your further comments Frank, I'll keep them in mind when using IR or the SFX film in the future. And I should of guessed the large areas were grape vines.

Terry S
Old 12th February 2024, 04:52 PM
Friend

Quote:
Finally managed to post today. I think this is my first print made since 2020. It was good to be back in a darkroom, but the setup is not very practical, and only temporary (packing away tonight). I will have to find a better solution
Alex

This doesnít seem to have arrived yet. Iím beginning to fear the worst. It went out by first class mail as usual on the morning of the 30th. If it hasnít arrived by Friday I will send a duplicate.
Alex

Old 12th February 2024, 06:27 PM
Friend

Quote:
This doesnít seem to have arrived yet. Iím beginning to fear the worst. It went out by first class mail as usual on the morning of the 30th. If it hasnít arrived by Friday I will send a duplicate.
Alex

Hi Alex,

Yes it did arrive apparently this saturday. But since we were away from home for the weekend I've only just been able to pick up and open your envelope this evening.

Alex sent me a beautiful print which shows a view of the top of Castle Tioram in the north-west of Scotland. The frame is filled beautifully with the castle in the background and a lively tree in the foreground.
A lovely scenery of which I totally understand that you visit the area over and over again! If we ever get to visit Scotland (it's on my bucket list, but unfortunately it'll have to wait a bit longer) then I'll definitely add this to my list!

I feel honored to receive one of your first darkroom prints after your long break-from-the-darkroom.
Starting back again with split-grade printing shows me you haven't lost the feeling Alex!
Thank you for this beautiful print!
Old 12th February 2024, 07:13 PM
Friend

Hi Sebastiaan. Thanks for the message. Iím glad the print arrived safely, and that you liked it. I only managed to print from a few negatives in that session, but it has put me in the mood to try some more as soon as the opportunity arises.
Alex

Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies