Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 27th October 2020, 09:51 AM
Friend

Thumbs up Gossen, get a big thumbs up from me!

Drove 12 miles to Clumber Park in Nottinghamshire to photograph the famous Lime Tree Avenue. Driving to Clumber was beautiful, crisp sunlight all the way.Two miles away from the park the clouds rolled in and it rained, "cats and dogs". I drove up and down Lime Tree avenue a couple of times looking for a good composition. All the trees less exposed to the wind had more colourful leaves on but I could not find a stretch of trees without parked cars or people ruining the composition. I eventually found a good spot to pull in but it never stopped raining. Had a brew and a bit of a walk, took a few light readings with my spotmeter, lost patience and drove home. Guess what? Two miles from home, glorious sunshine no sign of any rain. At home I noticed that the rubber eye cup was missing from my spot meter. £%&*# not having a good day. Emailed Gossen customer services in Germany asking where I could buy one from. A very nice man called Klaus-Peter replied straight away asking for my address, a free eye cup from Gossen is now on its way. Gossen made a grumpy old man very happy, well done GOSSEN! I just hate losing things
Old 27th October 2020, 11:19 AM
Friend

Norm, my first reaction these days is to say That's great customer service and it is but "back in the day" great customer service like that was normal customer service.

Despite the obvious advantages to companies of treating an existing customer well so that person then has the beginnings of a longer lasting relationship with the company and may source the next meter in this case from that company, a lot of companies either don't see it that way or have dismissed the benefits.

Short-sightedness rules OK now

Mike
Old 27th October 2020, 11:30 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
Norm, my first reaction these days is to say That's great customer service and it is but "back in the day" great customer service like that was normal customer service.

Mike
I agree, I find it tiresome nowadays that people are constantly trying to deceive me or rip me off!
Old 27th October 2020, 11:38 AM
Friend

There are still a few who understand the value of solid customer service. Good on Gossen for being one.
Old 27th October 2020, 04:55 PM
Friend

That kind of prompt service reminds of the same experience I had with another German firm - Buscher. They make/made print driers. The heat element in mine had expired. I contacted what I thought to be an English importer but drew a blank with them. So, my daughter in law wrote me a perfect German letter of detailed enquiry (her grandma was German) and I sent it off. Couple of days later I received a reply with the price and a statement that the piece I requested would arrive at my address in 14 days hence. Sure enough on the appointed day the element arrived protected by a robust metal channel. No ifs, no buts, no typos, no "I don't know who dealt with you the last time"!
Old 30th October 2020, 12:20 PM
Friend

Default Happy days!

Gossen eyecup and a lens cover received today free of charge, thank you Gossen
Old 31st October 2020, 06:16 PM
Friend

Thanks for this story. Business like Gossen are often still very good at this. I once had a very nice guy from Apple on my phone, who did not know about Apple's own Aperture program, when I was asking a question about it. His answer was repeatedly: "It is not in the App store." That meant to him that it never existed or does not matter anymore. Luckily it was by and by escalated five levels higher to a senior manager in California, who solved the problem in a minute.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies