Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome printing techniques

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 2nd October 2020, 12:06 PM
Friend

Default Analyser Pro Calibration with Ilford MG FB Classic / Kodak filters

Hi, -- Analyser Pro, Ilford MG FB Classic paper, Kodak enlarger filtration --- Forgive me if this has been documented before but I'd be grateful if any user can share their paper grade calibration figures - offset & contrast - when using the above equipment & materials. My enlarger is an LPL. Most of the data I've seen on the RH Design site is predicated by Ilford filters not Kodak (and indeed the www). Thx
Old 3rd October 2020, 09:24 AM
Moderator & Keeper of the Calendar

If you look at the RH Designs or the Ilford site they do give settings for Kodak filtration for the various grades. The numbers will also be on the data sheet packed with the paper you are using. I am assuming you are using the colour head on the LPL. If you use those figures then the Analyser Pro should work fine. I use a De Vere which also has Kodak filter values and have no problems. If you are using Kodak gels similar to the Ilford under or over lens ones then that is a whole different scenario.

I don’t think it matters how you achieve grade settings with a colour head, Durst or Kodak filtration settings, the Analyser Pro reads the negative with no filters in place so the method of filtration should not matter. The only difference I have experienced is the time difference due to the density of the gel filters against the colour head settings. If using Kodak gel filters then it may be that you need to do a full calibration procedure for those particular gels.

Also make friends with Richard Gould who has years of experience with the Analyser Pro and when he has shared his numbers with me they work fine.

Last edited by Bill; 3rd October 2020 at 09:31 AM.
Old 3rd October 2020, 12:43 PM
Friend

I can give you the settings that I use for Classic, using above the lens ilford filters, which should work fine for a colour head using Kodak filter settings, but if you are using Kodak above the lens filters then I would not like to say that these settings, but for a colour head, as bill says, you take your readings without the filters set, and just set the grades after reading's so should be fine, I have given these to a couple of other folk with colour heads and they work fine
.Settings are
See later post Number 4 with the correct numbers.
This should give you a good print with very little adjustment if you are using a colour head with Kodak settings, which you can get from the leaflet packed with the paper, take the readings in white light, then dial in the filters for the grade, if you are using Kodak above the lens filters then I doubt these will help as 1 the filters must be getting old and faded by now and 2 the kodak variable grade paper used different filters as kodak paper was a lot different to MG, they may give you a start, but if using the old Kodak filters I would suggest ditching them and getting a set of Ilford filters, they are not that expensive and would give better results with MG paper.
Richard

Last edited by Bill; 3rd October 2020 at 03:15 PM.
Old 3rd October 2020, 02:43 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Thanks Richard. Somebody has to keep an eye on you.

Can I raise another one then? You have Contrast 85 for grade 2 so perhaps it was the grade 2 contrast missing but you put in the number for grade 3?
Right again, only excuse I can make is I had to go and get the flu jab and I hate injections with a passion, best thing is if I put them down again,
Grade offset contrast

00------2-----175
0-------0------155
1........-1.......125
2-------0------90
3........-2.......85
4........-7.......67
5.......-13......55

Checked and double checked, they should work fine now,again Thanks Bill ,and Jake, remember to measure in white light and set the grade after measuring, I know these settings work with colour head's as 2 friends of mine use them one with LPL and one with a Durst

Richard

Last edited by Richard Gould; 3rd October 2020 at 03:13 PM.
Old 3rd October 2020, 02:54 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Double checked and double posted but where is grade 5 and what is this new grade 6? MG V is a wondrous paper indeed!

I see you have made the correction in the second post. Thanks for all your help.

We are due our jabs on Tuesday so that is something to look forward to.
Deleted first post and corrected in second post, Now could someone delete the other, incorrect posts and just leave the last, correct list up, please otherwise I am afraid Rick will be getting confused
Richard

Last edited by Richard Gould; 3rd October 2020 at 03:07 PM.
Old 3rd October 2020, 05:46 PM
Friend

Thanks for the deletion's Bill
Richard
Old 3rd October 2020, 08:55 PM
Friend

Thank you Bill for responding so quickly and linking-in Richard. I am most grateful to Richard for sharing his data, his insights and his advice on filter renewal! I'm in the process of printing photos of 'people in sunlight against the concrete fortresses of the waterfront, the walkways and the pavements' taken in the fine weather of the past week in central Liverpool. All on 35mm FP4, some developed in D76h and my last reel in Adox MQ (a new find) - the negs of which appear to have a pleasing balance of sharpness and tone. I shall know more as the week progresses in my darkroom ( a brick outhouse in the back garden) as I exhaust my fresh box of 9.5x13 Ilford Classic. -- and using Richard's figures. It is heartwarming that enthusiasts share their knowledge in this way -- Best regards, Rick
Old 4th October 2020, 08:03 AM
Friend

You are very welcome Rick, I think that you will find that there is plenty of help on here, I have had the analyser/pro for at least 25 years and would hate to be without it, iot has paid for itself many times over,
Richard
Old 4th October 2020, 09:14 AM
Moderator & Keeper of the Calendar

No problem Rick, we are all here to help when we can.

Bill

Tags
analyser pro, ilford mg classic, kodak filtration
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies