Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 2nd August 2014, 05:23 AM
New User

I've always liked these photos of Chris Killip's - especially because he's using a plate camera in what seems to be a very spontaneous way. Does anyone know what kind of camera he did use for this series?
Old 4th August 2014, 02:39 PM
Friend

My time as an assistant at Adrian Flowers Studio in Tite St, London, overlapped briefly with Chris Killip's. The contrast between fashionable, affluent Chelsea in 1966...7 and Skinningrove would have been total. I admire Chris's choice of subject - a far cry from the cigarette ads and meticulous Observer colour mag food-shots we worked on.
Old 12th August 2014, 05:02 PM
Friend

Just an addition to this post.
I've been going photographing with fellow FADU member Alan Clark regularly over the past six months and today we went up to Skinningrove which is about an hours drive for us. After our sandwiches at lunchtime Alan wanted to go back to the sea-front where the boats are. There were a few men stood around the boats and I could see Alan chatting to a couple while I photographed their mate and his dog. Anyway, Alan had asked the fishermen about Chris Killip and whether they remembered him. As it turned out they could do better than that - one of the blokes Alan was talking to was Bever, he of the tattooed neck, photographed, following his night in jail, by Killip in 1981 . (see image below).
Bever invited us back to his house to show us some prints he'd been given by Killip a couple of years ago. (Killip had told him to hang on to them!) Bever's house was no more than 50 yards from where the original photo was taken. We went into his kitchen and he brought down from the top of his fridge freezer a yellow Kodak box with original 16x12 prints from the Skinningrove series. Some of the ones I recognised from the above video and book and others I hadn't seen before. They were superb - the exposure, printing and composition were excellent. The three of us leant over Bever's kitchen worktop and chatted about the characters in the prints. Bever told the story of how a mate of his had been in America and had seen Bever's photo hanging on a wall, large size, in a gallery. His mate had said "I can't get away from you!".
Bever thought Killip was "sound as a pound", though they were a bit wary at first, thinking he was DHSS, as most of them were signing on and fishing to make a bit of extra on the side.
Anyway, I asked Bever to pose for a photograph at his back door which he kindly did and I think Alan already had a photo of him from earlier. We shook his hand and left. What a bloody day that turned out to be!! Cheers Alan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bever-skinningrove-1981.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	2160  

Tony
Old 12th August 2014, 06:00 PM
Friend

Yes Tony, I got a photo of him. I've just developed the film and he is hanging up to dry as I type.
What an experience. Beautiful photographs. An inspiration.

Alan
Old 13th August 2014, 06:55 PM
Friend

Great story. It just goes to show what a genuine approach can do. Most people respond well to a person's genuine interest in a subject when they are sure that nothing except pure interest for its own sake is the motivator.

Mike
Old 13th August 2014, 08:34 PM
Friend

Tony got a really good photo of Bever, which he emailed to me earlier today. Perhaps he will put it up here. Mine isn't printed yet, but the negative looks ok.

Alan
Old 13th August 2014, 09:49 PM
Friend

I take it that Bever is happy for his pic to go on what is a public site.

I'd like to think we are a site of like-minded people with good intentions and I believe we are but in fact all we report here and say here, including pictures is instantly within the public domain as far as I know or do we have some or even total control over access to pictures?

Mike
Old 14th August 2014, 08:03 AM
Friend

Maybe Tony and I should check with him. We were thinking of taking him some prints, so we will see him again.

Alan
Old 14th August 2014, 09:40 AM
Friend

As Alan says we'll be going back soon with prints for him so we'll see what he says. I was thinking though I doubt Chris Killip obtained model releases for all the people he's ever photographed, but I appreciate times - and views on privacy etc. - have changed.

Tony
Old 5th January 2019, 05:07 PM
Friend

An article from Sean O'Hagan in the Guardian about the work of Chris Killip. Some of his work is being shown in Newcastle, and there are some magazine-style publications available to purchase.

https://www.theguardian.com/artandde...-tyne-wallsend

Nick
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies