Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Reviews > Equipment

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 24th September 2016, 08:03 AM
Friend

Default Source of 120 sized stainless dev tanks?

Does anyone happen to know of a source for decent stainless tanks to take a 120 reel, i.e. would also fit two 35mm reels? Most of the usual places I would look for this type of thing don't seem to have any, not seeing any on eBay, and few if any places in the UK seem to sell new.

About the only new source I can find is this, which frankly seems a bit expensive for what it is, although it might be my only option:
https://www.calphoto.co.uk/product/C...el-Tank/CP9074

Any pointers would be appreciated!
Old 24th September 2016, 08:33 AM
Friend

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stainless-...oAAOSwzaJX4SPZ
Old 29th September 2016, 06:33 PM
Friend

The world's finest spirals (I believe) are from hewes.co.uk of Sandy, Beds. (01767) 651333. The surface is electropolished, which aids smooth loading.
The tanks used to be made by Kindermann , LPL and Nikor but you will have to put up with the advertised price because they are now only available used. Get the deeper tank if you can - it can be used with a single 35mm spiral but takes two 120 spirals. And has better resale value.
The tanks with metal lids tend to drip when inverted. Plastic lids seal better but won't last forever.
Old 30th September 2016, 08:10 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOReynolds View Post
The tanks with metal lids tend to drip when inverted. Plastic lids seal better but won't last forever.

That's generally true but I have two 35mm steel tanks with plastic lids bought in 1976 that are still as sound as when new and a more recent multi spiral tank with a plastic lid that is a bit shabby and does leak a bit when inverting.
Old 30th September 2016, 09:59 AM
Friend

I sold my SS tanks a few years ago, however I don't think my 120 tank would take two 35mm reels, in fact I'm fairly sure of it.

There's not much space between the top of the reels and the baffles in the top with 35mm or 120 SS tanks and two 35mm reels stacked are quite a bit taller than a 120mm reel. Same goes for the older Paterson System 4 tanks, the Universal can be used for one 35mm or 120 reel but not 2 35mm reels, they made a slightly taller Multi tank that could take 2 35mm reels.

SS tanks were made in larger sizes to take more reels so you need one taller than the basic 120 versions.

Ian
Old 30th September 2016, 10:12 AM
Friend

One or two of my SS 120 tanks are a little taller than the others (not by much) and will successfully process two 135 films using 450ml of developer, 400ml for one 120 roll.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies