Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 16th November 2019, 03:04 PM
Banned

Default I don't use Paterson reels

I don't use Paterson reels, I use Ap reels but have found a very very annoying problem.

Because of the design film does not go on the reel and can get snagged against the "lip" or whatever you want to call it, Paterson does not have this.

Because film "curls" it snags on this, poor images but hope you can see.

The only way I have found to overcome this is to insert the film emulsion side out, whereas with Paterson it didn't matter

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dscn0719.jpg
Views:	359
Size:	388.8 KB
ID:	3514   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dscn0720.jpg
Views:	364
Size:	386.4 KB
ID:	3515   Click image for larger version

Name:	ap.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	107.8 KB
ID:	3516  
Old 16th November 2019, 03:47 PM
Administrator

If you align the two 'wings' on the reel before inserting the negative and then place the negative on the wings as a guide, push the film forward and use the film on the wings to grip the film whilst turning the reel. Easier to do than say!
Old 16th November 2019, 03:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry View Post
If you align the two 'wings' on the reel before inserting the negative and then place the negative on the wings as a guide, push the film forward and use the film on the wings to grip the film whilst turning the reel. Easier to do than say!
I do, they can still come off, it's when they go 300 degrees they catch the part if you are not careful

Old 16th November 2019, 04:54 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannik View Post
I do, they can still come off, it's when they go 300 degrees they catch the part if you are not careful

Cannik I don't use AP reels so I am approaching this problem as a "fresh face but if the wings are aligned which looks to be key then it sounds as if pushing the film for a distance gets the film into the reel and as Barry says holding it and twisting the reel's sides then pulls the film further on to the reel.

Can you help us to help you by explaining or showing us what happens at 300 degrees? What is there at what I think you mean by 300 degrees round a 360 degrees circle of the reel that then catches the part( which part?)

Thanks

Mike
Old 16th November 2019, 05:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
Cannik I don't use AP reels so I am approaching this problem as a "fresh face but if the wings are aligned which looks to be key then it sounds as if pushing the film for a distance gets the film into the reel and as Barry says holding it and twisting the reel's sides then pulls the film further on to the reel.

Can you help us to help you by explaining or showing us what happens at 300 degrees? What is there at what I think you mean by 300 degrees round a 360 degrees circle of the reel that then catches the part( which part?)

Thanks

Mike

Actually YES I will do a video tomorrow

Old 16th November 2019, 05:53 PM
Friend

Try to make sure that you cut the leading edge, where you cut the leader off,is at a slight angle, and cut between the sprocket holes, so that there is nothing to catch as you start the film in the reel, looking at your pictures you cut straight across and that can cause the film to stick in any plastic reel

Richard
Old 16th November 2019, 05:53 PM
Friend

I have used the AP spirals for years for 35mm and 120 and have never had any issues at all - wonderful spirals to use :-)

AP have either changed something in the manufacture or something is not right here.

Barry's advice it spot on so give it another go. They really should be very easy to load.

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 16th November 2019, 05:58 PM
Banned

I have 5 all do it

HEY A Video on FADU is this a first

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1Q...z-KtE2D5yFNoYF

Old 16th November 2019, 09:03 PM
Friend

Cannik I hope the others have a Google Account as it looks as if you need one to view the video. I'll rely on what I read here about the others' conclusions from your video

I don't want a Google account

Mike

Mike
Old 17th November 2019, 08:35 AM
Friend

Cannik, I have tried 3 times to view your video and all I get is error 404 file not found on this server
Richard
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies