Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome Film

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 2nd December 2019, 06:12 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Archer View Post
I've just developed a couple of rolls of Ilford Ortho + (120) by the light of a cheap, bog-standard Paterson safelight. They've come out fine.
Rob if you had had to rely on development by inspection such as is the case with non Ilford developers would the safelight illumination have been good enough for that .

I think you are saying it was good enough for you but I just thought I'd ask to be sure

Thanks

Mike
Old 2nd December 2019, 06:17 PM
Friend

It was bright enough to see what I was doing but probably wouldn't have been bright enough for development by inspection (which is difficult with roll film anyway). I only did it with the first film as an experiment and forgot to turn the safelight on for the second one through habit. I wouldn't buy this film simply for the benefit of being able to process the film by safelight as I don't (usually!) have a problem loading the reels.
Old 2nd December 2019, 10:36 PM
Friend

Thanks Rob for the reply.I have the impression that inspection development on a very crude basis with roll film may be possible i.e. if you really had almost nothing to go on then a quick look at the first few frames on a reel might give prevent a disaster of development time but I am not sure how easy it would be to fine tune. If the info obtainable was say 10 mins but the negatives you prefer to work with needed say 11 mins then after another minute beyond 10 could you see the difference and even if you could would you know you had got to where you wanted to be?

I think you might get skilled enough in inspection development after say a few years of constantly doing it but it would be a slow learning curve and even then might depend on how good a natural eye you had for such.

Mike
Old 16th December 2019, 10:54 AM
Friend

My safelight is pretty dim and I'm not sure how development by inspection for fine tuning would help much with roll film as the unfixed emulsion would mask the image a bit. Next time I develop a roll I'll try it and report back. I developed my first roll as per Ilford's advice (10.5 mins in ID11 1:1). I found that slightly contrasty for me so the next roll I shot I rated at 40 and developed in Perceptol 1:1 for 16 minutes which gave me excellent negatives. I've only scanned them so far but I'll make some proper prints later this week.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	South Quay 1 Ortho.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	255.3 KB
ID:	3576  
Old 16th December 2019, 12:20 PM
Friend

Thanks Rob. It looks to be a fine nagative. Just out of interest what is the colour of the furled sail, dark line on the side of the boat with the white numbers and finally the colour of the lifebuoy on the jetty.

Lifebuoys are usually red but this one, if it is red, doesn't seem to look much different from the tone of a red lifebuoy that you'd get from panchromatic film in that it looks paler than I thought ortho film would reproduce red

Thanks

Mike
Old 28th December 2019, 07:41 PM
Friend

Rob, have you been able to look at my previous post and my questions on your example of the sailing boat?

Thanks

Mike
Old 28th December 2019, 10:03 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
Thanks Rob. It looks to be a fine nagative. Just out of interest what is the colour of the furled sail, dark line on the side of the boat with the white numbers and finally the colour of the lifebuoy on the jetty.

Lifebuoys are usually red but this one, if it is red, doesn't seem to look much different from the tone of a red lifebuoy that you'd get from panchromatic film in that it looks paler than I thought ortho film would reproduce red

Thanks

Mike
Sorry, I missed this comment first time round! I had to walk out to have a look this afternoon - it's a only a few hundred metres from my house! The sail is a dark reddish-brown, The hull of the boat is pale blue, the line is dark blue, almost black and the lifebuoy is bright orange. It's pretty much how I would have expected it to render TBH. The river is normally a muddy brown but on this unusually sunny day it was reflecting the blue sky and was lighter than I expected.

Rob
Old 28th December 2019, 10:32 PM
Friend

Thanks Rob. As the buoy is orange this may help explain why it looks the way it does. As orange is on its way to red then it is probably darker than orange appears on panchro film.

I had imagined that a buoy was probably quite a bright red but thinking about it they are not normally a deep but bright red which might have been much darker.

My expectations are probably coloured b a shot I saw in colour and then in ortho and the puppet which had a bright but deep red body turned out virtually black on ortho

Thanks

Mike
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies