Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 29th July 2010, 12:15 PM
Friend

Default 35mm negs and 80mm lens. Will it work.

I'm working away from home at the minute or I'd have tried it out myself. I've offered to make a print for someone from a 35mm negative but I'm a 6x6 kind of chap.

I' think I've got a 50mm lens that came in a bag with all the other enlarger bits but I suspect it has a rather nasty fungal infection if I remember rightly. Will I have problems trying to print at 9x6 or 12x8 using an 80mm lens?

Cheers,
Kev
Old 29th July 2010, 12:38 PM
Friend

That's what I use for 35mm negatives. You just have to move the head up a bit higher. I have done 12 x 16 with an 80mm lens on an LPL 6700 which is a fairly normal height enlarger so you should be o.k.

Steve.
Old 29th July 2010, 12:41 PM
Friend

Thanks Steve.

How's your 6x12 coming on? I was looking back at your build thread on TP the other day and wondered how it was progressing.
Old 29th July 2010, 01:16 PM
Friend

I often use longer lenses especially for smaller prints, as it gives you longer exposures and hence more time to dodge and burn. And easier to get dodge and burn times accurate.

Neil
Old 29th July 2010, 01:54 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev M View Post
How's your 6x12 coming on? I was looking back at your build thread on TP the other day and wondered how it was progressing.
It was nearly ready for its first film a few months ago.... then one of the shutter blades fell out!

I have arranged to have it repaired but have not got round to sending it off yet.

The fact that I now have a working 5x4 enlarger (see my other thread) means that I can print from 6x12 negatives now so that should give me a bit more incentive to get it finished. Unfortunately, the enlarger has also given me the incentive to get my Speed Graphic back together.... and finish my Polaroid 110A 5x4 modifiocation.

Steve.
Old 29th July 2010, 02:26 PM
Friend

I tend to use an 80mm lens with 35mm negatives as the longer lens is more convenient to use on my enlargers (less bellows crunch).

Tom
Old 29th July 2010, 06:05 PM
Friend

I do the same. I use an ancient Minolta EL 75mm for nearly everything. I only change to a NIkon 50mm if I want to make a 12 x 16 from a 35mm neg. In fact you will get better quality using a longer lens as you are not using the 'extremes of the lens. All lenses are sharper towards the centre ( less of an issue with more expensive lenses, of course)

Rob
Old 30th July 2010, 10:37 AM
Friend

Use your 80mm lens. The enlarger will be higher up the column, but for reasons I can't explain, exposure time will be the same as with a 50, for a given aperture and same size print.

Alan
Old 30th July 2010, 11:09 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Clark View Post
Use your 80mm lens. The enlarger will be higher up the column, but for reasons I can't explain, exposure time will be the same as with a 50, for a given aperture and same size print.

Alan
The reason is that the paper receives the same amount of light, although there may be slight differences due to tolerances.
Old 30th July 2010, 12:06 PM
Friend

I'd have thought the exposure time would be longer for an identical aperture given that the light would be higher and therefore further away from the paper.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies