Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Chemistry > Manufactured brews

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 22nd September 2010, 12:22 PM
Friend

Default What effect would a warm-tone developer have on a neutral paper?

I get the impression that many of FADU's Friends use WT papers and developers, but I was wondering what effect a WT developer would have on a neutral paper.

My understanding is that a WT dev works by reducing the size of the clusters of metallic silver in the finished print (or limiting their growth) so the process should be the same regardless of the paper. However, I could be wrong, or the nascent silver grain size might already be too large in neutral/cool papers for there to be any visible difference.

I've just started using a box of Adox Fineprint Vario Classic, and I love it. It seems much easier to get the shadows and the highlights just right than it was with Ilford MG IV RC (or maybe my more recent negs are better exposed, I guess. I should try ones that I had trouble with before!)

However, it is quite cool in tone with standard MG Dev, so I was wondering what if anyone here has tried it with a WT developer and, if so, what happened?

Andrew
Old 22nd September 2010, 12:46 PM
Friend

I have yet to try this combination but feel that the paper has a much greater bearing on the finished tone than the developer.
Old 22nd September 2010, 12:58 PM
Friend

Andrew, I did try this paper some years ago, developed in Ilford's WT developer and it remained fairly neutral. Certainly not warm by my standards using papers like Ilford WT, Fomatone Classic, etc.

You may get some warmth from it if you use a glycin based developer like Ansco 130.
"To the attentive eye, each moment of the year has its own beauty, and in the same field, it beholds, every hour, a picture which was never seen before, and which will never be seen again" Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Timespresent
Arenaphotographers

Last edited by Trevor Crone; 22nd September 2010 at 01:01 PM. Reason: additional info.
Old 22nd September 2010, 06:57 PM
Friend

I did some tests a few years ago using Ilford MGIV FB in both Ilfords Cooltone and Warmtone developers. With the prints side by side I could see a subtle difference, but with the prints on their own I couldn't see much difference. With Warmtone FB, however, there was a very noticable change. In fact Ilford Warmtone in thier Cooltone dev (now no longer available) was lovely, with cool blacks and subtly warm highlights.

Rob
Old 22nd September 2010, 07:32 PM
Friend

Default Warm tone developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
I have yet to try this combination but feel that the paper has a much greater bearing on the finished tone than the developer.
I agree with Dave.
Old 22nd September 2010, 09:02 PM
Friend

Thank you everybody for sharing your experience. I'm constantly impressed by the knowledge, experience and helpfulness of the people on here!

So I'll need to either splash out on some WT paper, or some sepia toner if I want to make warmer prints. Can anyone recommend a cost-effective WT paper in 8x10 and a matt or pearl finish? Ag and Silverprint only seem to supply 9.5x12 and bigger...

Andrew
Old 22nd September 2010, 09:31 PM
Friend

The Ilford warmtone comes in Pearl in RC and semi matt in FB in 8x10 listed on the AG site and they also list Adox Nuance but don't mention what surface it has, and Adox fine print variotone premium in semi matt both in 8x10

neil
Old 22nd September 2010, 11:06 PM
Friend

Before you start messing about with W/T developers try adding a small amout of 10% solution of Bromide to the developer you are currently using. Start with something like 10ml of the 10% solution to 2 litres working developer and if that is not enough add a further 5ml and keep going until you see the print becoming warmer. You will know when you have gone too far because the prints will have a green cast and will probably show less contrast.
Old 22nd September 2010, 11:16 PM
Friend

Andrew,

Adox Variotone comes in 8x10 - at least over here - and in glossy or semi-matte.

This is a FB warmtone paper on a bright white base. I have only developed in Dektol 1:2 and it yields a very nice, straightforward warm tone.

When toned in Selenium [KRST 1:20 for about 4 minutes] the tone becomes the most beautiful chocolate brown giving the dark tones more depth/power. To me it takes the edge off and brings it back towards neutral.

There's hope in these footsteps of persistence...
Old 23rd September 2010, 12:17 PM
Friend

Thanks again everyone,

I mixed up two concepts when I said cost-effective and 8x10 - I'd seen both Ilford MGIV WT and Adox Fine Print Variotone Premium in 8x10 but was shocked at the price compared to Fineprint Vario Classic. I'd also thought of Fomabrom Varient, but that is apparently only available in 9.5x12 or bigger.

I'll just have to bite the bullet and buy a smaller pack to try first.

Les' suggestion of the bromide (KBr, presumably?) is most intriguing though - I'll have a go with that first.

Andrew
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies