Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome Film

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 5th April 2012, 07:56 PM
Friend

Default Warm Tone Developer ID78

Ilford ID-78 is a marvelous paper developer which I mix myself. I recommend it! I haven't used anything else since Agfa Neutol-WA disappeared.
Old 6th April 2012, 06:51 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stocky View Post
Ilford ID-78 is a marvelous paper developer which I mix myself. I recommend it! I haven't used anything else since Agfa Neutol-WA disappeared.
I too mix my own to that formula but the commercial product is still available, at least here in the UK that don't want to D.I.Y.
Old 12th April 2012, 05:20 PM
Friend

My order is held up due to part of it being out of stock.

Mean while I have a couple of questions.

1 does anyone add a pinch of sodium bisulfite to the water before they add the metol for solution A.

2 where will I find a heated mag stirrer and are they expensive. I know its not required but curious.

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Old 12th April 2012, 05:26 PM
Friend

Quote:
Is the formular in the darkroom cookbook?

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Old 12th April 2012, 06:26 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by photomi7ch View Post
Is the formular in the darkroom cookbook?
It doesn't appear to be, I found it in "Way Beyond Monochrome" and Ian Grant has published on on his web site HERE.
Old 12th April 2012, 10:50 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
It doesn't appear to be, I found it in "Way Beyond Monochrome" and Ian Grant has published on on his web site HERE.
The formula is often copied and recopied incorrectly, following one error decades ago in the USA. Ian Grant's formula is the original, correct one. Some have incorrectly listed less bromide.

I mix it 3x normal strength, using potassium carbonate (adjust for different molecular weights compared to sodium carbonate) and Dimezone-S which is a superior form of phenidone. (Superior in longer lasting in solution and easier dissolving).

The adjusted amounts (for standard formula, 1Litre)
potassium carbonate anhyd 81g
Dimezone-S 0.65g (this is a guess, based on diff molecular weights: I've never read an authoratative opinion about the conversion of phenidone amounts to Dimezone-S equivalent).
Old 13th April 2012, 12:21 AM
Friend

Quote:
The formula is often copied and recopied incorrectly, following one error decades ago in the USA. Ian Grant's formula is the original, correct one. Some have incorrectly listed less bromide.

I mix it 3x normal strength, using potassium carbonate (adjust for different molecular weights compared to sodium carbonate) and Dimezone-S which is a superior form of phenidone. (Superior in longer lasting in solution and easier dissolving).

Dimezone-S 0.65g (this is a guess, based on diff molecular weights: I've never read an authoratative opinion about the conversion of phenidone amounts to Dimezone-S equivalent).
I should also say that I add a little EDTA-4Na because it is in the Agfa MSDS for Neutol-WA. It is supposed to protect the developer from deterioration due to metals in the water supply.
Old 13th April 2012, 02:17 AM
Friend

Neutal-WA is available here too, from Freestyle under the Compard name following the fiasco with the name Agfa. I presume this is the same stuff as in the UK - even the label is the same. Don't know about Australia.
Old 13th April 2012, 07:19 AM
Friend

Quote:

What do you think the advantage of substituting Potassium instead of Sodium Carbonate are?
Old 13th April 2012, 08:22 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Thanks Dave

Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies