Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - small format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 7th October 2017, 03:59 PM
Friend

There's another way of looking at this.
It matters not what you think about the cameras in question, the market sets the price.
I've stopped shaking my head at the daft looking amounts these sell for and started buying them for peanuts where I can.
I have 2 mju 1's and 2 mju 2's all bought from charity shops for a few quid, obviously they were bought in hope rather than expectation, both in function and the thought of resale.
Trouble is, they're great, whist I don't need 4 of em they're just so good I can't bring myself to move them on.
I think its the functionality and quality of image in such a small package.
When I leave the house, any house, if I don't have a film camera it feels like I forgot my watch/wallet/phone/insert essential object.
Then I remember I have that mju in the car/bag/pocket/whatever, and everything is ok with the world again...
Old 7th October 2017, 04:31 PM
Friend

I doubt that the people buying these cameras at such inflated prices are darkroom workers. Despite the reasonable quality lens, the camera lacks any real degree of control over focus, film speed and exposure. I read a review by someone who stated that they would never part with their Mju II. It was quite interesting, because the author seemed to highlight all the points that limit these cameras for serious use, including the ergonomic issues with such a small example. I'm sure you can produce impressive images with practically any camera, but I like to have the option to alter focus, depth of field and exposure, even though I may not always use the option. I do use cameras like the Mju II on holiday, or at parties or events where picture taking is usually less serious.
Alex

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old 7th October 2017, 08:36 PM
Friend

Default Cult cameras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostlabours View Post
the highest in the last 4 weeks went for £224.90 near mint with its original box etc.

Ian
About 16 years ago I worked part time for a used camera dealer in Sussex and we used get our regular telephone buyers (or call them telephone browsers 'cos they never bought anything) and they always wanted to know what the particular item they asked about was really like. You could remember their voices because they all called at least 2-3 times a week. The questions more or less followed a constant pattern wanting know how shiny the finish was. Were there any marks on the lens barrel. was it boxed etc.etc.

The shop manager managed to kill off one of these time wasters by replying to the question about if it was boxed.

"Yes sir it has a box with the makers name, however it is slightly marked, some additional labeling damaged, but this will not affect the the quality of the pictures it will produce"

He never called again!
Old 8th October 2017, 05:12 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexmuir View Post
I have two TW105’s. They are excellent. One cost £5, and the other £12. I bought a Mju III for £7.95 about three weeks ago. It was boxed and unused. The battery was still in a sealed package, as was the strap and case.
Talking about mad prices, however, I saw one of the best examples today. I receive advertising emails from a company called CameraWorld. I have dealt with them in the past, and been very pleased with my purchases. Today, they were promoting their used stock. They have a Canon sureshot AF-7 compact for £55!!! I bought one for my Wife for 99p (in a moment of great generosity), some time ago. The most attractive feature is the massive viewfinder, but it is a lower end product that may not have cost £55 new. I’ve no idea how it comes to be offered at this price. The lens is acceptable, but not a great performer. I’d love to know if someone buys it at that price.
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
In AP magazine Mathers 1999 Canon Sureshot AF-7 £44 MJU -2 £85
Old 8th October 2017, 09:36 PM
Friend

I accumulated 5 MJU II Stylus Epics over the past 3 or 4 years, the first one I bought had an asking price of £55, I took a fancy to it having read good things about it so I did a deal with the seller and swapped a MJU I and a couple of MJU zooms (which had cost me no more than £20 in total) for it, subsequently I purchased 4 more MJU II as spares paying no more than £10 for any of them, when the price of MJU II's escalated 2 or 3 months ago I had no hesitation listing 3 of them on Ebay, I got £350 for the 3 and kept the two best for myself
Old 9th October 2017, 08:17 AM
Friend

I’m trying to find that Canon AF-7. It was upgraded to a Nikon zoom compact a few months ago. There could be someone out there waiting to pay £50 for it!
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 21st October 2017, 09:46 PM
Friend

I've been disappointed with a couple of them, none of which I paid over the odds for.

The Yashica T3 is an OK camera, but don't bump or even drop it - it'll throw the optics out of whack with the bin as your only option.

I've owned three Yashica compact cameras. A µ1, µ2 and µ2 zoom. ALL of them suffer from severe light leaks through the lens barrel (shrinkage of sealing O-rings, a serious problem affecting many of them) which makes them nice for the Lomohipsters but not for serious work.

On the other hand, I've always been a bit wary of the Rollei 35s, with the missing rangefinder and everything. But I happened to get one for a tenner, repaired the slower gears myself and love it now, such a great little camera.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies