Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - Large Format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 26th November 2009, 09:45 PM
Friend

Default numbering film holders

Hi - I have decided that I ought to start taking notes for each LF shot I take. Obviously I will have to reconcile the notes for each shot with the sheet of film when it is processed.

I have carefully numbered all my film holders (on the outside) both sides odd and even. However I am stuck when it comes to identification when I put the sheets of film in the tank for processing as they get mixed up. I found details of this system:
http://www.jbhphoto.com/articles/filmno/filmholder1.htm
but I think it is a bit over complicated - I was wondering if I could use an 8-bit binary system numbering from 0 to 255 although that could possibly be a bit complicated to read as well.

I thought I would post here and see if anyone else has invented a better system I could use.

The Grafmatic film holder has a small number at the edge of the magazine that is changed each time the dark slide is pulled and I wonder if this has been adapted for dd film holders as. I don't know if the Fuji film holder (I cannot remember its name at present).

I have about 15 holders and would like to continue the numbering scheme to include my 10x8 holders.

Thanks in advance for any help

nn

PS May I see some of you on Saturday at Silverprint / Trevor Crone workshop?
Old 26th November 2009, 10:02 PM
Administrator

Ralph Lambrecht uses the binary system in his book 'Way Beyond Monochrome'.
Old 26th November 2009, 10:26 PM
Friend

I have adopted Ralph L's system - he recently posted on the other forum site a PDF describing his method in detail. It is a pretty simple and elegant method.

Ian
Old 26th November 2009, 11:58 PM
Friend

I just number my 4x5 holders 1A/1B, 2A/2B etc. I make a written note of each exposure and its darkslide number. I then place the exposed film in old film boxes which are labelled for their appropriate development, N, N-1, N-2, N+1, N+2.

As I've only got 8, 8x10 double darkslides, I've just numbered them 1 to 16. And again I just make a note of the DDS number and its appropriate development and put them in the required box.

Looking forward to meeting you on Saturday
"To the attentive eye, each moment of the year has its own beauty, and in the same field, it beholds, every hour, a picture which was never seen before, and which will never be seen again" Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Timespresent
Arenaphotographers
Old 27th November 2009, 07:31 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Crone View Post
I just number my 4x5 holders 1A/1B, 2A/2B etc. I make a written note of each exposure and its darkslide number. I then place the exposed film in old film boxes which are labelled for their appropriate development, N, N-1, N-2, N+1, N+2.

As I've only got 8, 8x10 double darkslides, I've just numbered them 1 to 16. And again I just make a note of the DDS number and its appropriate development and put them in the required box.

Looking forward to meeting you on Saturday
Your system may work with individually developed sheets of film if you note there position within the boxes, but the original post refers to the problem of getting sheets mixed during development. I think that the film has to be identified to it's film holder in some way.
Is it possible to drill a small hole, or to file a notch in the edge of each holder in a unique position to allow later identification of the DDS?
Old 27th November 2009, 07:36 AM
Moderator & Keeper of the Calendar

I'll second the Ralph Lambrecht method. I have my DDS done that way.

Bill
Old 27th November 2009, 07:37 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
I'll second the Ralph Lambrecht method. I have my DDS done that way.

Bill
Please give an outline of the method for those that haven't got his book, and for those like me that are too lazy to go downstairs and find it.
Old 27th November 2009, 08:02 AM
Moderator & Keeper of the Calendar

You mean I have to get up and look for mine because you are too lazy??

It is a method of using the binary numbering system to file notches in the bottom hinged edge of the DDS relative to one edge. At the same time you prepare a template which is then used to identify the number later. Harder to explain than do.

This is his pdf from another site:

Bill
Attached Files
File Type: pdf FilmHolderIdentityEd1.pdf (55.2 KB, 551 views)
Old 27th November 2009, 08:38 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
You mean I have to get up and look for mine because you are too lazy??

It is a method of using the binary numbering system to file notches in the bottom hinged edge of the DDS relative to one edge. At the same time you prepare a template which is then used to identify the number later. Harder to explain than do.

This is his pdf from another site:

Bill
Because you took sooooooo long to reply Bill I had to make the arduous journey to my library to read the chapter.

Pages 278 to 280 contain the details for those that want to read it, and it does involve notching the edge of the film holders. Such marking will also help you to identify a faulty holder immediately, so from that point alone would be worth doing. I suggest that off-setting the notches to one side may make them easier to read from the exposed film.
Old 27th November 2009, 02:06 PM
Friend

Thanks for the PDF very useful system, there's another job on my never ending list.

Neil

Tags
film holders, numbering
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies