Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 22nd September 2015, 09:14 PM
Friend

Default Clubs

It's the time of year when Photographic Clubs start up again and I just wondered how many FADU members participate in local clubs. I see Clubs mentioned in recent posts hence my question.

I'm not sure I'm really a club person anyway - maybe it's an individual thing - but my biggest worry is feeling like a fish out of water with all the d.....l users.

Michael
Old 22nd September 2015, 10:34 PM
Friend

Must admit, I grew tired of my local photographic club - It appeared to be divided in to two camps and unless you used a Cannon or Nikon, most of them would shun you. If you shot film, some would try to convert you to the dark side whilst others would keep you at arms length.

I think what really sealed it for me was when a "judge" passed comment that I should have photoshopped a few clouds in when he was looking at one of my prints (on Ilford MGIV Fibre).
Old 22nd September 2015, 10:57 PM
Friend

I'm still a member of our local photo club even though I'm the only analogue user.
It's a mixed bunch of around 45 members. You have the hardcore crowd and then the ones who come for more social reasons.

This forum has become a club of sorts for me and it's the strict adherence to darkroom techniques and printing that make it unique.

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950
Old 23rd September 2015, 07:23 AM
Friend

Default Clubs are fun!!

What I mean is I can indulge in a bit of mystifying (I mean confusing) the judges who visit for competitions.

All my entries are from film and I found that judges do not expect anything but digital prints. Listen to their comments where they say something like "this appears oversharpend a little" or "I do like the introduction of grain". I also hear quite often "I have never seen this paper surface before". (Usually on unglazed glossy fibre base). With me knowing at the time, (as well as a few other members knowing) they have never been near a computer I also indulge in winding the judges up by submitting landscape prints with unpronouncable (to them) titles in Welsh or Gaelic. Or titles with a hidden meaning! I rarely enter to win but for the involment and purpose of joining in.

As far as I can tell I am the only member who who regularly uses film to record images and this always provokes interest when it is mentioned in general conversation. This also includes what are called projected digital images in other words electronic slides. Mine are all scanned from film. So far no one else has dipped their toe into the waters but I keep trying. I have never been shunned or ostracised
(Incidentally I have NEVER seen a PDI that even come remotely close to a well exposed slide)

The club I belong to has a large membership (well over 120), a long history and has the usual core of older people who have been members for over 50 years or more. It also has a good representation of younger members, the youngest is I think 17 and she - yes she - comes with her boyfriend, elder brother father and grandfather. Whilst the membership is predominantly male, I would think that 10-15% of the membership are female, and these are not just camp followers either. They make a good representation of photogaphy

Yes, when I joined I didn't know anyone, but soon made friends and was welcomed into the fold. I had previously contacted one of the committee via 'phone and was told to seek him out when I joined. I did so and was in turn introduced to a group of others........However, it is a 'must' that integrating into a club is a two way process with the new member having to make the effort as well as those already long time members.

I have never come accross any 'elitism' in the equipment that is used be it Nikon-Canon or wharever. Although I do believe that there is a club somewhere in the south of England will not admit anyone who has not got a Canon. That is not elitism or snobery, it is just plain stupid!
Old 23rd September 2015, 09:29 AM
Friend

Default Clubs

Quote:
Originally Posted by John King View Post
...I do believe that there is a club somewhere in the south of England will not admit anyone who has not got a Canon. That is not elitism or snobery, it is just plain stupid!
Hear, hear. Ridiculous, actually.
I am a member of a club, the only person using wet imaging. I show, via the club, in local exhibitions, but I no longer enter leagues or competitions because the judges are so inept. I take a lot of trouble over my prints, but is considered rude to interrupt the judging. At the suggestion of a fellow member I put the word 'Bromide' in the title. It is usually ignored. One judge joked that it was something the army put in soldiers' tea.
Incidentally we have now introduced a voting form wherein we give the judges mark out of twenty. If we don't like him, he won't come back...
But don't be put off by my rant - I have met really interesting folk, even though they cheat with their computerised cameras!
Old 23rd September 2015, 10:15 AM
Friend

I have never been a member of a club (and I've been in quiet a few) where any great attention was paid to the make or type of camera or the method of production of a print. If you are near enough and want a friendly club then get yourself to a meeting of the East Midlands Monochrome Group and show us your work. You will be made very welcome and not judged. If you are too far away then get involved with a print circle and share you work that way. There are circles that restrict themselves to film and darkroom work.
Old 23rd September 2015, 11:01 AM
Friend

I was advised my photography tutor when I did a city and guilds course years back that photography clubs should be avoided.
Against this advice I joined a club and found he was right. A small core of members were very petty and actually viewed the competitions as a means to one upmanship over other members.

There are clubs and then there are other clubs but I think nearly all have given in to digital. The format is nearly always competition based and many of the judges are equally as petty as some of the members. I left club after a year. It really wasn't for me.

Most clubs seem to be affiliated to PAGB

http://www.thepagb.org.uk/

If you can find a good one then it may be for you but expect your image taking to be dictated by the club becasue if you don't participate in their competitions there will be little for you at the club. I never saw photography as a competitive sport, seems some people do.

This one always looked better to me than most but its not in my area (or yours by the look of it). I think it is largely digital these days.
http://cotswold-monochrome.co.uk/cot...ome/programme/

Last edited by Argentum; 23rd September 2015 at 11:05 AM.
Old 23rd September 2015, 11:24 AM
Friend

Default Confuse even more

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOReynolds View Post
Hear, hear. Ridiculous, actually.
I am a member of a club, the only person using wet imaging. I show, via the club, in local exhibitions, but I no longer enter leagues or competitions because the judges are so inept. I take a lot of trouble over my prints, but is considered rude to interrupt the judging. At the suggestion of a fellow member I put the word 'Bromide' in the title. It is usually ignored. One judge joked that it was something the army put in soldiers' tea.
Incidentally we have now introduced a voting form wherein we give the judges mark out of twenty. If we don't like him, he won't come back...
But don't be put off by my rant - I have met really interesting folk, even though they cheat with their computerised cameras!

You could always introduce into the title one extra word Silver Bromide. Or openly declare war by saying:- It is a real photograph, not one from an automated printer.

When you think a judge does not neccessarily pick what may be the best print, technically or artistically, it is that persons OPINION no more no less. Some are very good and give constructive comments even though he/she dislikes it whilst other cannot find anything that pleases them and say's so then awards them 1st place.....Yes I have seen it before not all are up to the job. Treat them as self opinionated clowns, a lot will agree with you.

Last edited by John King; 23rd September 2015 at 11:27 AM.
Old 23rd September 2015, 12:50 PM
Friend

looking through the PAGB site it looks like you have your own Northern Ireland "Federation"

http://www.niphoto.co.uk/#!members/c22nr

Plenty of choice there if you're close enough.
Old 23rd September 2015, 02:17 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by John King View Post
When you think a judge does not neccessarily pick what may be the best print, technically or artistically, it is that persons OPINION no more no less... Yes I have seen it before not all are up to the job. Treat them as self opinionated clowns, a lot will agree with you.
One of the problems seems to be the course that would-be judges attend to qualify for PAGB listing. A member of the club I joined gave a brief presentation of the judging guide recommended by PAGM. It began to explain the gulf between, for instance, the publication criteria of The Guardian (which I applaud) and PAGB-listed judging.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies