Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 5th March 2018, 10:11 PM
Friend

Default West Yorkshire Cameras

I haven't bought any gear for a long time, and latterly used Ffordes. Recently it seems they have less film gear, and I had persuaded myself I needed a lens to fit between 150 and 360 in my LF kit.
I came across West Yorkshire Cameras by chance, and have just picked up a 270mm Tele Xenar from them. Came very quickly, well packaged, good price and as described.
They seem to be keen to build a niche or themselves as a film-only shop, and on the strength of this transaction good luck to them. We need some dealers out there who are interested in film.
Old 5th March 2018, 10:33 PM
Friend

Thanks Skellum. Only a quick look at prices, admittedly, and only fairly scant knowledge of current camera and lenses prices but certainly looks good.

The problem with pictures and ratings is that mint usually means mint but when you move down to Exc+ and Exc a lot depends on whether your reading of what is said matches closely what is meant.

The only way to really find out is to visit the shop and look but most of us do not live within a daily commute unfortunately.

What would be really useful is a visit by any FADUer who can then report his findings. Nothing like a face to face review. That plus the nature of the "vibes" can often be extremely helpful

Mike
Old 6th March 2018, 07:11 AM
Friend

https://wycameras.com/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 6th March 2018, 07:31 AM
Friend

Hi Mike-
do we need a 'secret shopper'?
Old 6th March 2018, 08:04 AM
Friend

Well, what a find. I had not even considered them although I had seen their name in various magazines.

Yes their prices seem quite reasonable but do I really need another camera? Actually a small point and shoot rangefinder would be handy when I am out on my motorcycle. Hmmmmmm!

What took my eye was the Minolta Dynax 9 which I had at least 15-17 years ago and like all Minolta 'pro' type of cameras they were just too late for the market to catch on. As I have said before I have a soft spot for all things Minolta. Very underrated instruments, especially the lenses.

I use a Nikon F6 but the Dynax 9 was at least as good as the F6 and half the price, but didn't have a chance to catch on with the professionals before the dreaded 'D' word took over.
Old 6th March 2018, 08:39 AM
Friend

I've not visited them yet, but plan to, mainly because I really don't need anything (I have too much and need to dispose of gear). They're an hour on the train from me with only a few minutes walk either end. I have a friend who has bought several items from them and recommends.
Old 6th March 2018, 01:13 PM
Friend

This shop certainly looks good from the link posted above. One thing I find with this site, and many other shop websites, is the lack of an immediate indication of where it is. I think that, if you are advertising a physical shop, it should tell you immediately in big writing where it is located. I know the postal address is included after the map, but it’s frustrating when you have to skip around to find essential information.
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 6th March 2018, 02:11 PM
Friend

I totally agree with you Alex, the first thing you want to know when someone is advertising a product or service is where is their base located. So often it as you say concealed in the publicity and one wonders is it deliberate because they don't want to be visited for some dubious reason.

Tony
Old 6th March 2018, 03:23 PM
Friend

When I opened the website a big blue sign appeared in the middle of the home page that said "Visit us at Leeds Corn Exchange"

West Yorkshire Cameras is a shop in the old Corn Exchange, in Leeds. I don't think they are discouraging people from visiting. Far from it. When my wife and I called in a couple of years ago they made no attempt to throw us out....

My wife took one look round and said, "They've got nearly as many cameras as you"

Alan
Old 6th March 2018, 06:55 PM
Friend

Well worth a look, I may tie it in with a summer visit to the Royal Armouries Museum.

Last edited by GoodOldNorm; 6th March 2018 at 06:56 PM. Reason: grammer corrections
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies