Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Art and aesthetics

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 4th September 2008, 06:14 PM
Friend

Default Nebulous Ingredients

It’s long seemed to me that there are but two types of photographer, those that crave fame and fortune and those that make pictures.
This is the place to discuss them, together with those most nebulous of photographic ingredients, art and aesthetics.
Old 20th December 2008, 09:00 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
It’s long seemed to me that there are but two types of photographer, those that crave fame and fortune and those that make pictures.
This is the place to discuss them, together with those most nebulous of photographic ingredients, art and aesthetics.
Dave- I would have to say I am one of those who just takes picture as I do not have the where with all or any particular desire to publish my pictures. I have never belonged to a photographic club in fact I don't belong to clubs. Fortunately, I am blissfully content with my own company but that does not mean I am antisocial.

Regarding the second part of your question. I see photography as an art form albeit, I do not include digital photography in that. I can see there is a need for digital cameras, photojournalists and professionals but there is something about a digital image. Maybe it is too perfect and slightly synthetic. I guess digital photography creates an art form all of it's own

Regards Kenneth
Old 13th March 2009, 04:03 PM
Friend

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethcooke View Post

I see photography as an art form albeit, I do not include digital photography in that.
I guess digital photography creates an art form all of it's own
Is photography art?
Old 13th March 2009, 04:10 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag-Bromide View Post
Is photography art?
Art must first be defined before one can decide if photography can be art.
Old 13th March 2009, 09:40 PM
Friend

I just want to be creative - what happens after that is a bonus :-)

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 15th August 2009, 04:51 PM
Friend

I would have thought there were two kinds of photographers. The ones who talk tech all day, pouring over data, stats, density numbers, developer formulas and dilutions, and the other half that actually produce photographs :P
Old 16th August 2009, 11:38 AM
Friend

As with most things the answer to these questions are not black and white

over the 30 years I have been in photography I have met photographers who like to talk f stops and characteristic curves, and photographers who like to talk aesthetics and allegory. If all people do is talk then it doesn't matter which camp your in. For me taking photographs is the most important thing, for whatever reason. There are people who can sit in both camps, capable of talking technically or aesthetically, one who comes to mind is Ansel Adams, I don't go along with the notion that people are in one camp or the other, though they can be, there are always exceptions and people who fall somewhere in between.

As to the question about is it art, according to the art world anything can be art, though I often get the impression they think this is true if you have the right credentials to fit their criteria.

Great photography is art to me, I'll take a Bill Brandt or Arthur Tress photograph an my wall over a Tracy Emin or Chapman Brothers piece of work any day.

But this is only my opinion and the great thing about life is there is always someone who will disagree, wouldn't it be boring otherwise?

Neil
Old 16th August 2009, 04:43 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Art must first be defined before one can decide if photography can be art.
No no … otherwise a pile of bricks would not be classed as art…..(I was not impressed with them at the time but ‘horses for courses’).

Art is the ability to create some thing that people find pleasing to the eye and if one wishes to be pedantic – pay for it!
Why should photography not be classed as art? – This seems to be a very UK attitude (I can take that picture – so it cannot be art…)
One just needs to look at some of the photographs on this site; if this is not art I give up and go back to the bricks and my Guinness.
David.
Old 16th August 2009, 07:39 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag-Bromide View Post
Is photography art?
Ho, ho, ho, ho. That always gives me a giggle. It's true that some people don't want it to be, but they are mostly dead.
Old 16th August 2009, 08:19 PM
Friend

When an article titled, "Edward Weston - Artist" was sent to him he circled the word "Artist" and added the comment, "cut, or change to 'photographer,' of which title I am very proud."
"To the attentive eye, each moment of the year has its own beauty, and in the same field, it beholds, every hour, a picture which was never seen before, and which will never be seen again" Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Timespresent
Arenaphotographers
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies