Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - Large Format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 5th October 2009, 06:08 PM
Friend

Default Loading 10x8 film holders

Do any of you experienced 10x8 users have tips for loading the film holders? I'm used to 5x4, but there it is possible to hold the film by the edges in one hand, leaving the other free to deal with the dark slide. Yesterday I was trying to load my shiny new 10x8 holders for the first time but was left very concerned about getting my greasy fingers all over the film and getting it scratched as it flopped about over the holders. This was in a Harrison changing tent (standard size), and I began to think that it would be easier in a darkroom, except that then dust would be more of a concern.

So, any advice gratefully received!

Pete
Old 5th October 2009, 06:41 PM
Friend

I load mine the same way I load my 5x4 film holders. I use on hand to hold the DDS on which the dark slide is withdrawn by about a third. I use the same hand to feed the bottom of the sheet of film behind the side flanges whilst resting on the DDS. I hold the top edge of the film with the other hand and feed it down to the DDS so that it curves through about 70 degrees into the DDS. I find curving the film stiffens the film and makes it easier to feed it into the grooves behind the flanges. I have yet to find finger marks on the film. I suppose you could wear a cotton glove on the film holding hand.
Old 5th October 2009, 06:56 PM
Administrator

Mine are loaded the same way as Dave and have not had any finger marks on the film.
Old 5th October 2009, 08:38 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete H View Post
Do any of you experienced 10x8 users have tips for loading the film holders? I'm used to 5x4, but there it is possible to hold the film by the edges in one hand, leaving the other free to deal with the dark slide. Yesterday I was trying to load my shiny new 10x8 holders for the first time but was left very concerned about getting my greasy fingers all over the film and getting it scratched as it flopped about over the holders. This was in a Harrison changing tent (standard size), and I began to think that it would be easier in a darkroom, except that then dust would be more of a concern.

So, any advice gratefully received!

Pete
It`s the same procedure as already said. There is a short film about loading sheet-film holders HERE.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies