Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - Large Format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 1st September 2010, 03:03 PM
Friend

Default Your procedure of focusing with a 5x4

Hi everyone,
Can you explain to me what is your procedure of focusing with a 5x4 large format camera when you want a close object and a far subject in focus?
Thank you
Jacques
Old 1st September 2010, 03:49 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques View Post
Hi everyone,
Can you explain to me what is your procedure of focusing with a 5x4 large format camera when you want a close object and a far subject in focus?
Thank you
Jacques
Proving there are no really pronounced vertical objects in the scene I wish to remain sharp, I simply use front tilt until near and far objects are in focus, often a little re-focusing is needed when using tilt. Any discrepancies can be accounted for by small f=stops.

I use front lens tilt quite a lot when using the view camera, particularly with 8x10 for DoF can be a real problem.
"To the attentive eye, each moment of the year has its own beauty, and in the same field, it beholds, every hour, a picture which was never seen before, and which will never be seen again" Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Timespresent
Arenaphotographers
Old 1st September 2010, 03:56 PM
Friend

Trevor is quite correct but would add that you don't need a lot of front tilt, I often find that a couple of degrees normally does it.

I would thoroughly recommend obtaining a book on the subject though. I found 'Using the View Camera' by Steve Simmons very helpful.

Arena Photographers
Old 1st September 2010, 04:13 PM
Friend

Assuming the focus on your camera is geared but the tilt isn't (i.e. Most field cameras) you will probably find it easier to focus on the near and then tilt for the far, rather than the other way round.

Also, probably best to use a loupe to focus if you don't already.
Old 1st September 2010, 04:40 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
Assuming the focus on your camera is geared but the tilt isn't (i.e. Most field cameras) you will probably find it easier to focus on the near and then tilt for the far, rather than the other way round.

Also, probably best to use a loupe to focus if you don't already.
Thank you all. Dave this is the first time that read "to focus on the near and then tilt for the far". I will try this one too.
Jacques
Old 1st September 2010, 09:33 PM
Friend

I don't bother with tilts unless I have to but instead rely on small apertures/depth of field

I focus on the nearest object I want to be sharp and then focus on the furthest object I want to be sharp - noting how much movement I need to move from near and far

I then set the focus to half way (by bed extension) between the two then slowly stop down until everything is in focus - then add an extra stop for good measure.

Have found very few situations where this isn’t enough – with a 5x4

I am sure Trevors’ problems with DOF running a 10x8 are significantly more challenging

Martin
Old 1st September 2010, 09:40 PM
Friend

A lot depends on the focal length of your lens. When I got a 90mm Super Angulon for my 5 x 4 camera I found that it had such depth of field that I built a fixed-focus camera for it, that focussed on 8 feet. At f45 everything from 4 feet to infinity is in focus. .There is a simplicity about this camera that makes it a joy to use.

Alan
Old 1st September 2010, 09:50 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Aislabie View Post
I focus on the nearest object I want to be sharp and then focus on the furthest object I want to be sharp - noting how much movement I need to move from near and far

I then set the focus to half way (by bed extension) between the two then slowly stop down until everything is in focus - then add an extra stop for good measure.
I'm no expert at this but my method is similar but with a bit of added tilt.

I will focus on the near and far points noting the difference in position then add a bit of tilt and do it again. This should bring the near and far focusing points closer together.

Add a bit more tilt and they should get even closer together until at the ideal tilt position they will be in the same place. If they start getting further apart again then you have gone too far.

I have found that much less tilt is required than at first you might think. This is probably due to seeing pictures of monorail cameras twisted into outrageously strange shapes.

Steve.
Old 2nd September 2010, 09:08 AM
Friend

I am still quite new to 5x4, just starting up after a brief introduction in college. What I have done is calculate depth of field charts for my lenses, using a DOF Calculator on my iphone, there was another thread about this here http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.or...ghlight=iphone if anybody is interested. I refer to this chart when setting up, and set the focus and aperture according to my chart, it gives me the hyperfocal distance for each aperture, and I choose the appropriate combination for the depth of field I need, I have made a little scale which allows me to set the focus at the required distance on the camera. If the aperture and scene combination doesn't allow everything from front to back to come within the DOF I then use tilt or swing to compensate.

Neil
Old 2nd September 2010, 05:03 PM
Friend

Again thank you all for your help.
Jacques
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies