Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Chemistry > Chemical formulae

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 29th April 2018, 03:08 PM
Friend

Default Crawley FX4

I may have imagined this but in my head I have FX4 down as Crawleys attempt to offer a developer that would perform the same as D76/ID11. Has anyone used FX4, what are you findings please?
Old 29th April 2018, 09:41 PM
Friend

Geoffrey Crawley claimed that his FX4 developer would deliver a 50-60 percent speed increase over D-76. I tried it and found that for critical shadow detail and printing density this was not the case for how I work (exposure technique, developing technique and printing style).

If you want to try it, here is the formula that I have in my note book with a starting development time of 9 minutes at 20˚C:

Metol 1.5g
Sodium Sulfite 100g
Phenidone 25g
Hydroquinone 5g
Borax 2.5g
Potassium Bromide 0.5g

Bests,

David.
www.dsallen.de
http://dsallen.carpentier-galerie.de
Old 30th April 2018, 07:42 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsallen View Post
Geoffrey Crawley claimed that his FX4 developer would deliver a 50-60 percent speed increase over D-76. I tried it and found that for critical shadow detail and printing density this was not the case for how I work (exposure technique, developing technique and printing style).

If you want to try it, here is the formula that I have in my note book with a starting development time of 9 minutes at 20˚C:

Metol 1.5g
Sodium Sulfite 100g
Phenidone 25g
Hydroquinone 5g
Borax 2.5g
Potassium Bromide 0.5g

Bests,

David.
www.dsallen.de
Thank you David I have the formula as above but with 0.25g Phenidone and 6g Hydroquinone.

I have plenty of film developer at the moment, but I may give FX4 a try later this year. I would like to know if it is best matured and used replenished or one shot.
Old 2nd May 2018, 03:59 PM
Friend

Just stick with D-76 or ID11 or one of the liquid alternatives from Ilford or Kodak.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies