Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Print Finishing

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 16th September 2019, 08:23 AM
Friend

There's a very useful video on how to cut matts: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8814hNPlyI

It's a bit long-winded, but gives a good idea how to cut bevelled matts.

Mike
Old 16th September 2019, 10:43 AM
Friend

Default Cow gum

I have some prints which I mounted with cow gum probably about 20 years ago. They are still fastened to the mount board but they are starting to discolour and are staining a faint uneven light brown. This seems to be creeping in from the edges. I dont think its the board which was archival so must presume its the cow gum. I suppose its how long you want them to last, cow gum is great to use but long term may not be ideal.
Old 16th September 2019, 10:48 AM
Print Exchange Manager

I used to use cow-gum back in the 60's and they did discolour when they were mounted behind glass after some time. However, after taking them out and exposing them to air they cleared and are now fine with no residual staining.
Mike
Old 16th September 2019, 02:15 PM
Friend

My second post on this thread, having just skimmed them all again.

Just to say the cheapest cutter that I can find on ebay at the moment is the following link, which is a new product but in really tatty old packaging. It's a good basic one like I use, so well worth the price.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-X-Act...kAAOSwwWNczI3K

Also, when I occasionally give prints away to people = candid family / friends type pictures, I usually print them in the 7" x 5" format. The reason for this is that I bought a load of blue, double matted mounts for a wedding / portrait business that I was about to start, before having a bad accident, which meant I couldn't work after that.

The mounts are great though, if you don't mind the smaller picture format and they can be stood by themselves on a shelf or easily put in a frame. They look exactly like a greeting card made with really thick card, in two shades of blue with an aperture inside, with a two shades of blue double window mount to slip in the photo. They look great and people are really quite chuffed when I give them one for no reason. I have thought occasionally of putting most of them on ebay as small amounts, as I won't be using the majority of them up and not everyone wants 100 of anything. If this would interest anyone, let me know and I'll try sorting it out.

Ooh, and as for Cow Gum (was it really made of cows??...), I used it a lot in the early 80's whilst at college and I'm sure that we were told it was archival. Lots of bits of artwork I have from then has stained and most has also started to peel off or actually has. Interesting to hear that the stains go away when left in the air for a while.

Terry S

Last edited by Terry S; 16th September 2019 at 02:18 PM.
Old 16th September 2019, 02:54 PM
Friend

Default Non slip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svend View Post
One tip I would give regarding cutting along a steel rule, is use a rule with a grippy backing so it doesn't slip in mid-cut -- believe me, I've had this happen, and ruined some perfectly good mat boards. If you already have a long straight edge that is just plain metal, then you can get cork backing tape to stick on it. Gluing fine sandpaper onto the back of the rule is another option. Works great.
Better than gluing, is to uses double sided adhesive tape and then apply a strip of 80 grit emery paper which will 'dig in' and stop anything slipping. Emery is better because the grip particles don't become detached unlike sandpaper and pose a risk to the surface of a print. I have used one for about 25 years and it never lets me down.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies