Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - medium format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 19th June 2020, 08:42 AM
Friend

Default Rolleiflex SL66 film back insert cog 31T & 30T

Saw a post in a facebook group showing two SL66 film back inserts one with a 31 tooth cog and one with a 30 tooth cog. I checked my film backs and found that most of my backs have 31 teeth and one has 30 teeth on the film insert cogs. The post on facebook suggest that the 31 t cog is for older type thick emulsion films and the 30 T cog insert is for modern thinner films. Has anyone knowledge of this? All my film backs have matching serial numbers I wonder if the cog size has an effect on space between frames?
Old 19th June 2020, 09:16 AM
Friend

Have a look at SL66.com and the Film Back section of the Accessories pages.

http://www.sl66.com/pg/accessories.shtml

In the pop-up window it states that:

"5. A completely redesigned back followed later in 1986 with the introduction of the SL66SE camera.
Because film emulsions had become thinner, the auto sensor of former film magazines sometimes failed. Rollei re-designed the magazine so it would only accept either 120 or 220 type film now; film spooling now had be done by lining up the arrow mark on the film backing paper.

This magazine also has a foldable crank instead of a winder knob and a film marker box on the back of the magazine door.

Of this magazine, several version were available: 120/6x6, 220/6x6, 120/4.5x6 and 220/4.5x6."

It doesn't specifically mention that the number of teeth had changed. I wonder if some previous owners got their old magazines altered with the newer 30 tooth sprocket?
Old 19th June 2020, 10:25 AM
Friend

My film back with 31T is pre 1982 it has the opening catch that just pushes to the right to open it and with the film insert serial number engraved on the end plate. The 1982-86 versions had a different catch that had to be pushed forwards ad then to the right and the serial numbers were positioned on the dividing plate between the spools. So is my back with 31t a repair, modification or a factory product?
When I get the time I will put a T grain film through it and an old emulsion film and check the frame spacing. I have also got a 6x4.5 back but that is the standard 30T cog not the odd 31T.
Old 19th June 2020, 10:27 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodOldNorm View Post
Saw a post in a facebook group showing two SL66 film back inserts one with a 31 tooth cog and one with a 30 tooth cog. I checked my film backs and found that most of my backs have 31 teeth and one has 30 teeth on the film insert cogs. The post on facebook suggest that the 31 t cog is for older type thick emulsion films and the 30 T cog insert is for modern thinner films. Has anyone knowledge of this? All my film backs have matching serial numbers I wonder if the cog size has an effect on space between frames?
Got this the wrong way round the 30 T cog is the common one for older thicker film, the 31T cog is the unusual one.
Old 19th June 2020, 11:08 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collas View Post
Have a look at SL66.com and the Film Back section of the Accessories pages.

http://www.sl66.com/pg/accessories.shtml

In the pop-up window it states that:

"5. A completely redesigned back followed later in 1986 with the introduction of the SL66SE camera.
Because film emulsions had become thinner, the auto sensor of former film magazines sometimes failed. Rollei re-designed the magazine so it would only accept either 120 or 220 type film now; film spooling now had be done by lining up the arrow mark on the film backing paper.

This magazine also has a foldable crank instead of a winder knob and a film marker box on the back of the magazine door.

Of this magazine, several version were available: 120/6x6, 220/6x6, 120/4.5x6 and 220/4.5x6."

It doesn't specifically mention that the number of teeth had changed. I wonder if some previous owners got their old magazines altered with the newer 30 tooth sprocket?
The SL66SE film back is different and simpler. I don't have one of each empty to compare, but I suspect that the mechanism is quite different and interchanging parts unlikely.

Last edited by Stocky; 19th June 2020 at 11:11 AM.
Old 19th June 2020, 11:47 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stocky View Post
The SL66SE film back is different and simpler. I don't have one of each empty to compare, but I suspect that the mechanism is quite different and interchanging parts unlikely.
Yes, the sl66e film back is different to the sl66 back, the SL66E back has no film start detecting mechanism and it has a film winding crank not a knob.
Old 19th June 2020, 12:03 PM
Friend

I only have backs with winding knobs.
Old 19th June 2020, 10:59 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodOldNorm View Post
Yes, the sl66e film back is different to the sl66 back, the SL66E back has no film start detecting mechanism and it has a film winding crank not a knob.
I think (not sure) that it's only the SL66SE back that has the crank and the match the arrow system. I think the SL66E back still has the film start detecting mechanism and also some electrical contacts for film speed.
Old 20th June 2020, 07:16 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stocky View Post
I think (not sure) that it's only the SL66SE back that has the crank and the match the arrow system. I think the SL66E back still has the film start detecting mechanism and also some electrical contacts for film speed.
Ta, for that I have never seen a SL66SE film back I was regurgitating rubbish I have read on the internet.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies