Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome printing techniques

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 18th November 2008, 06:55 PM
Friend

Default Resin coated papers versus Fibre-based papers.

I got to see a photographers B&W prints recently, all made in the traditional darkroom and beautifully mounted and matted. When I asked him if they were made on resin-coated or fibre-based papers, he replied that "Fibre-based papers were for old die-hards, rainbow chasers and nutcases and that there was no quality advantage in using them". I must admit that I was lost for words at his reply, but his prints looked good so I didn`t argue the pro`s and con`s of one over the other. What do you folks prefer to use?
Old 18th November 2008, 07:01 PM
Friend

I think you may just have lit the blue touch paper.
Old 18th November 2008, 07:18 PM
Friend

Welcome to my world of, old die-hards, rainbow chasers and nutcases

Nothing wrong with RC papers, I've exhibited many but when I get down to it I just prefer the look and feel of FB papers. I know when its behind glass no one can really be sure, but I know and that's what matters to me.
"To the attentive eye, each moment of the year has its own beauty, and in the same field, it beholds, every hour, a picture which was never seen before, and which will never be seen again" Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Timespresent
Arenaphotographers
Old 18th November 2008, 08:55 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
I think you may just have lit the blue touch paper.
For real fun I can think of a website where posting the quote in the thread opener might lead to a saga longer than "Dallas" and result in the equivalent of JR being shot!

Just a bit more seriously I have often wondered if say Ilford RC Portfolio( similar weight) with say a Satin finish(similar finish?) would come close to FB. OK there is no Satin finish in Portfolio but you might get my drift.

If you had to describe similar weight FB in a similar finish, if there is one, to say Satin RC to someone (me) who has never handled or seen FB so that I could distinguish the two papers what would you say?

If it's simpler then alternatively imagine I had the two papers as described above in my hand. What would I see and feel that distinguishes the FB from the RC?

Thanks

Mike
Old 18th November 2008, 08:56 PM
Friend

The only nutcase in this is the misguided fool who made the original statement
Old 18th November 2008, 08:56 PM
Friend

This is a perennial topic, which is best? In my opinion neither, it’s horses for courses. If you like the result you obtain, then you are using the correct product. As has been said many times, once it’s behind glass and removed from touch most folk will be hard put to tell the difference. Remember the picture is in the emulsion, not the paper, however different products react differently to developer and toner combinations, so be prepared to experiment and find one that suits your style. If you plan on selling, exhibiting without glass cover, or are concerned about archival qualities then it may be best to stick to fibre paper, otherwise the choice is yours. Above all else keep an open mind and experiment. For myself I love the variety of papers available and enjoy trying all that I can get hold of.
Old 19th November 2008, 07:48 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
For real fun I can think of a website where posting the quote in the thread opener might lead to a saga longer than "Dallas" and result in the equivalent of JR being shot!

Thanks

Mike
I think I can guess which website. Dave if you read this post, don`t mention the 8x10 thread. Oops, I mentioned it.

Seriously though, there was a very long debate on that site about Ilford`s film washing method which went on and on and on...................................and on.............................
Old 19th November 2008, 07:50 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
This is a perennial topic, which is best? In my opinion neither, it’s horses for courses. If you like the result you obtain, then you are using the correct product. As has been said many times, once it’s behind glass and removed from touch most folk will be hard put to tell the difference. Remember the picture is in the emulsion, not the paper, however different products react differently to developer and toner combinations, so be prepared to experiment and find one that suits your style. If you plan on selling, exhibiting without glass cover, or are concerned about archival qualities then it may be best to stick to fibre paper, otherwise the choice is yours. Above all else keep an open mind and experiment. For myself I love the variety of papers available and enjoy trying all that I can get hold of.
Yup, I agree.
Old 20th November 2008, 09:35 PM
Friend

I use RC for local camera club stuff - nobody's commented on the difference, yet!

Rob
Old 21st November 2008, 07:38 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Archer View Post
I use RC for local camera club stuff - nobody's commented on the difference, yet!

Rob
I'm biting my tongue here Rob; honest.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies