Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Member Organised Functions > External Group Announcements

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 12th October 2010, 09:09 AM
Friend

Default The Postal Photographic Club

The question has been asked in another thread what is the PPC? So I thought I should take a little time to explain since there may be those among our number who will be interested.

The PPC is a postal photographic group whose members circulate their photographs between each other by post.

The membership is divided into “circles” with about 10 members in each who have similar interests. i.e. there are circles for colour prints, monochrome prints, slides, and digital imaging, about a hundred members in total.
I have been a member for about 5 years and I’m in a monochrome circle, since that is my preferred medium.

Our prints are enclosed within purpose made folders that allow details of the picture to be recorded and allow for a maximum print size of 5” x 7”.

As the club’s name implies, prints are circulated by post between circle members on a monthly basis for comment and critique in a folio. Eventually, the folio completes a circuit and returns to you and the comments made by the other circle members are then available.

We have just returned from our annual weekend meeting, which this year was held in the Lake District. Attendance is optional, but it is an opportunity to meet other members and cement friendships, as well as getting out and take a few snaps, either on your own or in the company of other member.

Membership is open to all at an annual membership of £13, and that includes a year’s supply of print folders. The main cost of participation is the postage cost of the monthly folio, which is about £4.50 in my case, but I consider it money well spent.

If anyone is interested in joining they should either download an application form from http://www.postalphotoclub.org.uk/ or contact our secretary for more information. Alternatively post your questions here and I will try to answer them as will the other members of this forum that are also in the PPC.
Old 12th October 2010, 11:47 AM
Friend

Dave
Do you award marks for the prints (as they do or did in the UPP)?
Les
Old 12th October 2010, 12:10 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by les dix View Post
Dave
Do you award marks for the prints (as they do or did in the UPP)?
Les
Yes we do, although it's not compulsory.
Old 12th October 2010, 12:18 PM
Friend

Sorry, for those who read my post and do not know what UPP means- they deal with postal circles but cater for larger prints. I was thinking of becoming a member of UPP some years ago but the thought of having to award marks was a stumbling block for me.
Old 12th October 2010, 12:25 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by les dix View Post
Sorry, for those who read my post and do not know what UPP means- they deal with postal circles but cater for larger prints. I was thinking of becoming a member of UPP some years ago but the thought of having to award marks was a stumbling block for me.
I was a member of UPP for several years, but the postal charges on the large prints became too much.
The award of marks should not be a stumbling block as you put it since various options are open to you.
a) Don't award a mark.
b) Give every print the same mark.
c) Give a mark that you feel a print deserves, which could be (a), (b) or some other number. It's not something to get stressed over, some take it seriously, whilst some less so.
Old 13th October 2010, 06:17 AM
Friend

I was a member of one of UPP's international portfolios, (UK, NZ and Australia) and found it very interesting, but in the end the postal charges gor way beyond a joke.
Old 13th October 2010, 11:57 AM
Friend

Just out of curiosity, what would the postal charges be in any group of say 10?

From what Dave has said I have inferred on each "round" your pic gets sent to all 10 members for comment and eventual return to you so each group member will be receiving a total of 10 different prints and incurring 10 postage charges over whatever the round robin period is, I think?

As I write I feel I am confusing myself already : so I'll stop and simply return to my original question which is how many postal charges does each member incur in a group of 10 and over what period?

Thanks

Mike
Old 13th October 2010, 12:10 PM
Friend

I was a member of an RPS arrangement of this sort many years ago, the charges, timescales and poor quality of work submitted by some led me to leave.

I'm finding the FADU exchange stimulating and rewarding, much better than my experiemce of a postal group with RPS.
Old 13th October 2010, 12:10 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
Just out of curiosity, what would the postal charges be in any group of say 10?

From what Dave has said I have inferred on each "round" your pic gets sent to all 10 members for comment and eventual return to you so each group member will be receiving a total of 10 different prints and incurring 10 postage charges over whatever the round robin period is, I think?

As I write I feel I am confusing myself already : so I'll stop and simply return to my original question which is how many postal charges does each member incur in a group of 10 and over what period?

Thanks

Mike
One per month.
Old 13th October 2010, 12:16 PM
Friend

Thanks Dave. So postal charges work out at exactly the same as FADU's Print Exchange and you eventually get your own print back with comments after say 10-11 months.

Mike
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies