Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Alternative Processes > Contact printing

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 26th September 2009, 11:30 AM
Friend

Posts yesterday on other film sites by M. Smith say that this paper has been coated. It will be shipped at some point after it hardens and is cut. Perhaps of interest to many on this forum: The factory is in Europe and there was some possibility of shipping direct to European buyers initially but not out of stock which would presumably be kept in the US. So if it turns out to be less expensive to ship directly one might want to order at this point. I think the determining factor somehow concerns the VAT if shipped from Europe.

Also some sizes are only available initially and will not be stocked.

One unrelated question: for 8x10 contact prints, what are the pros/cons/issues around printing on 9x11 versus 8x10 paper?

Thanks, Mark
Old 26th September 2009, 11:50 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark-NY View Post
Posts yesterday on other film sites by M. Smith say that this paper has been coated. It will be shipped at some point after it hardens and is cut. Perhaps of interest to many on this forum: The factory is in Europe and there was some possibility of shipping direct to European buyers initially but not out of stock which would presumably be kept in the US. So if it turns out to be less expensive to ship directly one might want to order at this point. I think the determining factor somehow concerns the VAT if shipped from Europe.

Also some sizes are only available initially and will not be stocked.

One unrelated question: for 8x10 contact prints, what are the pros/cons/issues around printing on 9x11 versus 8x10 paper?

Thanks, Mark
Thanks for the update Mark. I do hope it isn't too long before its shipped as my batch of Lodima has almost gone

FWIW I've preordered some 9x11 mainly for the reason that the paper from the intial run suffered from severe paper curl that it was a real pain to square it up with the negative. Also bits of the emulsion would often came away near the edges with constant handerling. So I thought the larger size would solve these issue should they still become a problem. Although Michael did say these issue will be rectified with this batch of paper. Lets hope so.
"To the attentive eye, each moment of the year has its own beauty, and in the same field, it beholds, every hour, a picture which was never seen before, and which will never be seen again" Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Timespresent
Arenaphotographers
Old 26th September 2009, 12:22 PM
Friend

Thanks Trevor -- quite good to know.

Aesthetically -- I was talking with a friend who used to be a fine art photographer but did not contact print. He always wanted a border around prints as he did not like to see the paper edge when mounted. We considered this choice as it related to 8x10 contact prints and came up with the idea of creating mat with an 8x10 cut out -- the negative would be placed in the cut out and the paper on top and then exposed. This would keep the white border around the print; however, the black edge of the negative would be seen.

All personal preference, but I thought this might be interesting and work for some prints. It could always be cut away or overmated. Not sure of the practicalities of printing this way, though -- and the 9x11 paper is 50 USD more per box than the 8x10.
Old 26th September 2009, 01:07 PM
Friend

Yes, the increase in price of the 9x11 size is a bit of a downer.

I have started to trim off the black rebate of the print and remount it on Fabriano 5 paper. This is a nice white with smooth textured paper which for me offsets the warmth of the print quite nicely and can then be overmatted to leave a white boarder around the print if required.
"To the attentive eye, each moment of the year has its own beauty, and in the same field, it beholds, every hour, a picture which was never seen before, and which will never be seen again" Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Timespresent
Arenaphotographers
Old 28th September 2009, 10:43 AM
Friend

Default Lodima Fine Art Paper Last Call for Certain Sizes

Posted on the Azo Forum this morning...
__________________________________________________ ___________
Last call for certain sizes
Posted by: Michael A. Smith Posted at: 2:09:24 AM PT, 9/28/2009
Last call for certain sizes:

Boxes are being ordered in 24 hours. We will not be stocking the following
sizes, so if you want to order them, you have 24 hours to do so.

9x11, 10x12, 8x20, 16x20.

We will stock these sizes: 8x10, 11x14, 20x24.

Michael A. Smith

Last edited by Mark-NY; 28th September 2009 at 11:04 AM.
Old 11th October 2009, 12:01 PM
Friend

Trevor Crone alerted me to this forum and to this thread. I am happy to answer any questions anyone may have about Lodima paper, or about anything else photographic that I may know something about. If someone would like me to comment on something, please alert me by email to the thread at issue, as I will not be able to frequently check the forum.

Lodima Fine Art silver chloride paper is as beautiful, or even more so, than we (we includes my wife, Paula Chamlee, who is also a photographer) could have hoped. It took five years of hard work to make it happen.

Right now the paper is available only from us at www.michaelandpaula.com. We did receive an inquiry from Martin Reed at SilverPrint about carrying the paper, and we are not opposed to that. But because the paper is so expensive to produce, and because our R&D costs have been so high, and because we have tried to keep the cost of the paper as low as possible so that we don't go too far under, we explained to Martin that we were unable to offer him a discount. We suggested that if he purchased a relatively large stock that we could ship it to him from an EU country, saving some of the shipping cost. We did not hear back from Martin, which is understandable. NO hard feeling there on our part, and we hope there are none from him toward us.

We had hoped to ship paper to EU countries from an EU country. The shipper we found told us that he needed to add VAT. That combined with the shipping costs in Euros, when converted into US Dollars, came to a significantly higher amount than if we shipped the paper from the USA, so we will be shipping the paper from the USA. The customer is responsible for loss or damage, but so far, in all of our years of sending hundreds of orders of AZO paper and books--we also publish books under the Lodima Press imprint--(www.lodimapress.com), we have never had a package lost of damaged.

If anyone has any questions about our new paper, go here first http://www.michaelandpaula.com/mp/newpaper.html, and if questions still remain, do let me know. As those who have dealt with me and Paula in the past know, we are always try to be as helpful as we can.

Best regards to all,

Michael A. Smith

Last edited by Dave miller; 11th October 2009 at 07:41 PM. Reason: Reference to tax avoidance removed.
Old 11th October 2009, 07:00 PM
Friend

Good to have you on board Michael not just for your expertise on Lodima paper but in the wider field of fine art photography.

I must make a public apology to you for something I said in an earlier post about there not being any information included with Lodima paper. This was an over sight on my part when in fact there was an information sheet included with my box of paper. I promptly mislayed it and forgot that it was there The ageing process is not being too kind to the old grey matter

Timespresent
Arenaphotographers
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies