Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 29th January 2012, 09:40 PM
Friend

Default Reciprocity for Pinhole?

I'm toying with the idea of purchasing the new Ilford pinhole 4x5 setup but have a few questions/reservations. I have just ordered a 6x7 rollfilm back because I would rather for the time being anyways avoid having to process sheet film. My darkroom is not lightproof and by change tent is a bit too small except in an emergency. Later .... perhaps?

Can anyone tell me if there may be anything I'm overlooking by using 6x6 in this pinhole made for 4x5? Is the pinhole size likely to work ok?

My major issue however is the one of film reciprocity. My favorite film right now is Foma 400 and 100. I like it due to the price, the look and especially that now that I'm dialed in for it and I has become a smooth process with those films. How well advised, or ill advised is it to try to continue using the Foma 400 due to its reciprocity characteristics? I'd like to settle on a 400 film and it is a bit worrisome to venture forward. On the one hand Tmax, which I used to like and still have about ten rolls of 120 left lying around is available in both 120 and sheet - for now. On the other Ilford 400 is not available is sheet film.

I'd like to pick one film and use it in 6x7 first but have the option for sheet film as well, in the same film. So is Foma 400 doable or ill advised? Thanks. I'm sitting on the fence and will go spring for the pinhole or return the rollfilm holder instead and keep on truck'n the way I've been going.

If you wonder why I'm not considering the Delta 100 ... well it is slow and also the twenty or so rolls of 120 I've gone through so far (I bought 30 to test out) have not really worked for us.

Thanks again for any advice that the more experienced may give.
Old 29th January 2012, 10:08 PM
Friend

With my Zeroimage 4x5" pinhole camera I use FP4 and Foma 100 and both show some reciprocity defect, that can be easily compensated using a longer exposure time (as shown in the data sheets).

However, the main issue with reciprocity defect is the implicit increase of contrast. This is particularly problematic if you consider that a scene seen by a 4x5" pinhole camera is likely to have quite a considerable dynamic range, owing to the very wide angle of view and to the vignetting.

So, it is better to expose the film at a lower ISO (e.g. -2/3 stop) and reduce the development time by ~30%.

I think using 6x6 on a 4x5" pinhole it's totally feasible, apart the fact that you loose the ultra-wide angle of view.
Old 29th January 2012, 11:25 PM
Friend

As I understand it the new ilford pinhole camera back accomodates a sheet film holder sliding in, but nothing thicker or thinner. Rollfilm backs which generally need a camers with a graflock/ international back, which the ilford pinhole lacks.
Old 29th January 2012, 11:28 PM
Friend

P.s. you might be able to get a rollfilm back to work on it by improvising something with elastic bands or bungees to hold it in place.
Old 30th January 2012, 08:05 AM
Friend

I don't think that a roll film back can be used with the Harman camera, it's designed to take a standard DDS.
The pinhole will work with 6x6 but more like a standard lens with regards to focal length.
I've never used Foma 400 for long exposures so cannot comment other than to say try it and see what happens.
Old 30th January 2012, 11:06 PM
Friend

Dave, you're right. I have a Cambo 6x9 back which fits the ZeroImage, but the Harman is different.
Old 3rd February 2012, 09:05 PM
Friend

It turns out that you are all correct in that it will not fit. The back is half the thickness of a 4x5 filmholder so the whole idea stops here.

I will likely return the rollfilm adapter but am of course a bit regretful at the thought. I guess I could get a real 4x5 and use it as a pinhole? I wonder if you can use rise with pinhole - or would half the negative be really far underexposed?
Old 3rd February 2012, 10:07 PM
Friend

Using a view camera with a pinhole should be possible, although it may be difficult to get short focal lengths (unless you use bag bellows).
Rise should be possible as well, but not at the shorter focal length, owing to vignetting.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies