Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 18th May 2020, 10:05 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svend View Post
I'm on board with that! My anti-Covid tonic has vitamin C to boost immune system, along with alcohol and salt as disinfectants.
Per glass: 1 oz. Tequila; 1.5 oz. freshly squeezed lime and lemon juice (50/50); 1 oz. simple syrup; 1 tsp. Triple Sec. Shake and pour into salt-rimmed glass with two ice cubes. Otherwise known as a classic Margarita. Delicious.
Thank you gents for getting my drift with the threads title. We have been bombarded with a lot of depressing news and thought I would have a little fun with the way the thread is titled.

I have had time this lock down to update the darkroom with much needed shelves and a good clear out. That inspired me to get to grips with some printing.

I must admit that it was the classic margarita that hooked my taste buds on a very hot humid day many years ago. It still surprises me how refreshing it was.

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Old 18th May 2020, 12:22 PM
Friend

[QUOTE=Terry S;133328]Like Paul, I love donkeys as well /QUOTE]

Not quite for me in the army we looked on junior officers as 'Ruperts: officers of the rank of Captain and above as 'Donkey's' and there was no love lost!

The ones who actually ran a Regiment were always the Sergeants and Warrant Officers

Last edited by John King; 18th May 2020 at 12:26 PM.
Old 19th May 2020, 03:54 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by photomi7ch View Post
I must admit that it was the classic margarita that hooked my taste buds on a very hot humid day many years ago. It still surprises me how refreshing it was.
Mitch -- agreed, they are wonderful drinks...probably my favourite cocktail now. After years of drinking my in-laws Margaritas made from store-bought mix (blech!), I had a revelation recently when I ordered a 'rita in a Mexican restaurant in the US southwest....one of those little family-run places where no one speaks English and grandma is in the kitchen cooking up a storm. The drink was fantastic! So I watched how they made it and asked a few key questions in my rudimentary Spanish. And of course, in the name of scientific discovery, I had to have more than one . I went home vowing to replicate the flavour, and after trying about a dozen recipes I settled on the one above as being closest. If you try it let me know how you like it.

Cheers!
Old 20th May 2020, 10:16 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svend View Post
Mitch -- agreed, they are wonderful drinks...probably my favourite cocktail now. After years of drinking my in-laws Margaritas made from store-bought mix (blech!), I had a revelation recently when I ordered a 'rita in a Mexican restaurant in the US southwest....one of those little family-run places where no one speaks English and grandma is in the kitchen cooking up a storm. The drink was fantastic! So I watched how they made it and asked a few key questions in my rudimentary Spanish. And of course, in the name of scientific discovery, I had to have more than one . I went home vowing to replicate the flavour, and after trying about a dozen recipes I settled on the one above as being closest. If you try it let me know how you like it.

Cheers!
Lol thanks svend I have made a note.

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Old 20th May 2020, 10:22 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexmuir View Post
That’s a very trendy tipple these days, Mitch! I’m normally on Grappa, but ventured slightly off-piste and ordered a bottle of Galician Orujo last week. The jury is still out on that, but the Spanish cider which accompanied it was first class. I can’t say I’ve noticed much improvement in my photography.
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Your right Alex it has become trendy. When that happens the market get flooded with other brands which is not always to the good.

Old 20th May 2020, 02:27 PM
Print Exchange Manager

I never knew what a Margarita was until this thread. You learn more than things about film and darkroom work on this forum!!! But I think I will stick to developer and fix.

Mike
Old 20th May 2020, 03:29 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHeller View Post
I never knew what a Margarita was until this thread. You learn more than things about film and darkroom work on this forum!!! But I think I will stick to developer and fix.

Mike
Mike, Margarita was once the favourite of another photographer in the late 50s and some of the 60s' He was called Antony Armstrong Jones. I am pretty sure it was Margarita or a very similar name

Back from the comic slot at the end of the pier I have been browsing one of the few copies of Black and White Photography I kept. This one is from Christmas 2007 with a picture of John Lydon on the front. There is an interesting article in it involving a guy called Mike Heller and its about resin v fibre.

Is this you Mike by any chance?

Mike
Old 20th May 2020, 07:07 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by photomi7ch View Post
Your right Alex it has become trendy. When that happens the market get flooded with other brands which is not always to the good.
It's funny how certain drinks are considered "trendy" in some parts of the world but are down-home liquor cabinet staples elsewhere. Tequila has been the latter for as long as I can remember. Nothing special about it anywhere in North America, except perhaps some urban hipster bars trying to make it a swish drink with the millenials. But Margaritas are definitely not trendy here, period....standard summer patio tipple.

Mitch - I'm presently experimenting with burnt orange Margarita recipes. This at the request of my daughters who came back from Arizona raving about ones they'd had in a TexMex joint there. If I find a good one I will share if you're interested.
Old 20th May 2020, 07:54 PM
Friend

Svend, the situation for we older Brits is that unlike the younger element in Britain now, we realise that these exotic cocktails belong to a hotter climate somewhere around the Rio Grande

We have pubs with thatched roofs and stuff called "bitter". The last pub that sold Coor's lite at about 2 degrees C got closed for inducing hypothermia in its younger customers We still play skittles. Tequila and things like poker belongs to Rosa's Cantina out in the West Texas town of El Paso where Feleena whirls.

Our '45s are records not big irons on hips worn by a ranger. Our rangers have Queen's Park in front of Ranger and play football on a Saturday

Mike
Old 20th May 2020, 10:25 PM
Friend

When I was a student, in the first part of the 80’s, I drank quite a bit of Tequila. At that time, you could generally get a hold of a bottle of Jose Cuervo silver (clear spirit) to make Margaritas. Occasionally, you might have encountered a Cuervo Gold, which was preferred for Tequila Slammers. On an even more auspicious day, a bottle of Mezcal may have appeared. I haven’t been in the market for any of that for years, but I recently read an article here about what was available in Tequila. Apparently, there are many more labels, and a choice of the clear stuff, or an aged version. I wouldn’t know where to start. At the moment, I’m sticking to Grappa, and whisky (Scotch).
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies