Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Site Forums > News and Announcements

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 30th September 2020, 02:15 PM
Friend

Default Rankin 2020 on new + free Sky Arts channel

Aren't we being spoiled by two programmes, one directly after the other, about photography?

So, did anyone else watch Rankin 2020, which was on last night, on the new free channel, Sky Arts, directly after 'Master of photography'?

Rankin was his usual buoyant self, as he presented the programme, along with two other others - a picture editor and an actress / poet / etc.

He took a few pictures himself, to try and show 'empathy' in 2020, what with the current virus outbreak. There were also a lot of other pictures shown, that had been taken and submitted by the public.

The main issue I had with the programme was the showing of the above mentioned pictures by the public. These were shown at about 50 mph on screen, so I had to rewind slightly a few times and then pause, play, pause, play to enable me to view them properly. And there were some really good pictures but as with 'Master of photography' (which is discussed in separate thread) I found the majority of them didn't make me think of the word 'empathy' in particular. There were just too many pictures to try and describe, to show what I mean, so you'll have to take a look yourself.

But as people have said many times on forums, we mustn't moan too much, for programmes about the subject of photography are few and far between. But that's not to say we can't moan a little, when they don't quite deliver.

I think that it's a mini series, so I've set up my BT box to record this and MoP for me, although so far, I have not managed to keep my finger away from the delete key, directly after watching either of these two programmes.

Terry S
Old 30th September 2020, 04:01 PM
Friend

Terry, I watched the Rankin programme and found it a bit "lightweight". Rankin's attempt was poorer than the iPhone photos chosen which did seem to capture empathy to an extent and certainly more than Rankin's photo of the statuesque nurse. Her's looked like a portrait which was fine as a work related portrait but failed to invoke the feeling of empathy for me

I got the impression that Rankin's was a token effort and all he had done was spend maybe a couple of hours at it.

Why the Leica digital? Was this simply a nod to the simplicity of the classic HB type of camera that being Leica must produce great shots and is allegedly the kind of camera associated with fast shots from street level.

Did Leica, I wonder, have any input into this photography programme in the same way as it seems to be the camera supplier in "Master of Photography"?

My verdict for others who may consider watching it is that it was OK if you have 30 minutes to spare but it was a far from a "must see" programme

Mike
Old 30th September 2020, 05:33 PM
Friend

It seemed to me that it was a programme just about Rankin and his to two guests.

Tony
Old 30th September 2020, 06:42 PM
Friend

Rankin and master of photography I found very mediocre ,they were both talk the talk but Neither of them could walk the walk ,and my bull shxt ometer went in to melt down ..
Old 7th October 2020, 12:42 PM
Friend

Well, I watched Rankin 2020 over breakfast this morning, which was the second and last of two episodes I believe?

I found it to be even more average than the first episode and made dull watching and listening.

The only good thing about it, that I mentioned in my last post about the programme, was that they didn't show the slideshow of peoples work at high speed, as they had done in the first episode. It was slowed right down, so my fingers didn't have to constantly go to the pause then play buttons on my remote.

The guests gave their opinions, which both Rankin and I found a bit OTT from one of the guests. I mean, what was she talking about at times?

Now I hate to put down anything photographic that pops up on the tv box, as there is often so little, but the only good thing I can say about it, was that there were only two episodes to watch.

Shame really, as I'm sure there could have been a much better programme in there somewhere.

Terry S
Old 7th October 2020, 01:16 PM
Friend

I decided to give the series a miss after programme 1 and your experience with programme 2 confirms what I felt

Pity as you say

Mike
Old 14th October 2020, 02:12 PM
Friend

Over breakfast this morning I watched a further episode of Rankin 2020. This surprised me as I had read somewhere - in a tv mag or maybe the tv description of the programme? - that it was supposed to be only a two-parter?

Anyway, the format was much the same as before, with this episode being about 'beauty in 2020', which gave viewers a wide range of subjects to photograph to send into the programme. There were a couple of good pictures shown, whilst one or two of them, I didn't get at all... e.g. a b/w shot of a wide open mouth to show all of someones teeth and gums. Beauty - really?

As for the two guests and Rankin's choices of Jo Public's submissions... Well they were okay, but I'm sure there must have been others just as, if not more worthy, to show and talk about, even briefly?

During the episode Rankin also took a studio portrait of a drag artist on his mega-bucks digital Hassleblad. He then said and showed us how, he could take a very similar shot on his mobile phone; pushing this button; swiping that one; and so on. Yes the pictures on my TV screen seemed very similar and looked quicker to adjust on the phone. This only left me wondering why Rankin bothers with all of his Hassleblad gear, if he thinks that the phone can produce the same picture, presumably at a lower cost? But saying that, have you seen how much top end models of the Apple i-phones cost? The prices are probably closer than I imagine.

Terry S
Old 1st November 2020, 02:07 PM
Friend

Another week, another episode, with me thinking this will be the last, as I originally thought that it was only going to be two episodes long.

Anyway, it followed the usual format, with this weeks subject being about 'Nature'.

Rankin showed a pleasant enough final picture that he took, of a dandelion seed head on fire, which he shot on a 35mm digital SLR this week, instead of his MF camera, which I was beginning to think was surgically attached to his arm.

He then showed us how he did it, in one of his empty bedrooms. I'd dread to think how many fires or near fires happened after that demonstration, with viewers trying similar at home after watching it and then wanting to give it a go! My advice to the viewers was, 'If you are going to try fire pictures, wait for a dry day and do it outside people', which like my previous shouting, probably went unheard.

Two of the guest judges thought that the above had feelings of 'the crucifixion', something, as usual, that I couldn't connect or agree with. 'It's just a picture of a burning dandelion head!' I mumbled at the tv screen; I've given up shouting, like I have in previous weeks, as it seems to make no difference.

Then a selection of pictures from viewers were shown, with me preferring mostly ones from the amateurs rather than the professional photographers. I'm beginning to think, looking at the details on screen with the prints, that maybe cameras on phones have become better than some digital cameras, or maybe it's just that the takers have never had a camera until their phones?

As usual, I'll continue to watch the ongoing episodes, although like the Sky Master Photographer programme, this too is becoming to feel very formulaic, or maybe it always has been and I've only just noticed? I almost totally switch off whilst watching each episode now, learning nothing new, but enjoying one or two of the pictures shown. Maybe that's all that I should expect and accept?

Terry S
Old 4th November 2020, 12:23 PM
Friend

Gentlemen I admire your fortitude in being able to watch both these poorly put together programs. Ranking lasted about 5 secs and masters of photography lasted longer but found myself skipping to other channels so gave it up.

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Old 4th November 2020, 03:41 PM
Friend

Sounds like Rankin may just be Rankin but for some of us, both programmes are largely rank

Mike
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies