Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 24th November 2011, 02:16 PM
Friend

Default Rinse water temperature control

Hi

Does anyone konw of any usable temperature controllers for running water which would be any good down to 20-25deg - for sale in the UK?

I've looked at shower valves but can't find any information on minimum effective temperatures, and have no experience of whether they'd be consistent enough.

I mainly want somethng for B&W but have started some C-41 processing so I'd probably want something which would handle 38deg too.

Failing anything automatic, some sort of mixer with a temperature dial on it would be my second choice, but I haven't found anything like that either - anyone know of a supplier?

Thanks
Paul
Old 24th November 2011, 02:46 PM
Friend

When I built my last darkroom in the UK I obtained expert advice from Richards of Hull and fitted a water temperature control valve with temperature gauge. I think that it was from the US but looked very similar to this: http://www.richards.uk.com/tempwatr.htm

I also purchased from them a Ventaxia light-proof darkroom ventilation fan (http://www.richards.uk.com/ventaxia.htm). If my memory serves me well, it was rather bl**dy expensive but, as I was then often doing 8 hours plus printing and toning, it was a godsend. It is probably the reason that I can still now work in a darkroom with poorer ventilation as I don't spend more than 4 hours at one session and the Ventaxia probably protected me against the chemical acclimation that has befallen many a friend who worked feverishly in stuffy commercial darkrooms before d*g*t*l took over.

By the way I have absolutely no connection with Richards and have not dealt with them for many years. IF they have retained their levels of expert knowledge and customer advice they are the ones that I would go to.
http://dsallen.carpentier-galerie.de
Old 24th November 2011, 02:59 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
Hi

Does anyone konw of any usable temperature controllers for running water which would be any good down to 20-25deg - for sale in the UK?

I've looked at shower valves but can't find any information on minimum effective temperatures, and have no experience of whether they'd be consistent enough.

I mainly want somethng for B&W but have started some C-41 processing so I'd probably want something which would handle 38deg too.

Failing anything automatic, some sort of mixer with a temperature dial on it would be my second choice, but I haven't found anything like that either - anyone know of a supplier?

Thanks
Paul
hass in the US make the intellifaucet but in the UK I'm not sure except that you can buy stiebel eltron electric water heaters. These are probably the best you can get, accurate and simple dial setting with readout but come at a high price. If you are ever thinking of getting a fully automatic processor such as the jobo ATL 1500 then they are worth looking at for E6 and C41 processing. Otherwise a thermometer is your friend but not very automatic.
http://www.stiebel-eltron.de/en/priv...hlauferhitzer/

should have looked at davids link which already mentions the stiebel eltron heaters.
Old 24th November 2011, 03:05 PM
Friend

There is a water temperature control I have seen in college darkrooms. The company is called Proco as far as I remember. Secondhand Darkroom Supplies stock a lot of good used equipment and may have such a device. Nova Darkroom also do some used equipment and ebay would be worth a look. I fill a 5 litre container with filtered water at a suitable temp when doing film processing and use the Ilford rinse sequence, but a controlled supply would be a lot less hassle!
Old 24th November 2011, 03:10 PM
Friend

Domestic thermostatic water valves don't normal work below 30C so won't be of much use to you. I agree that talking to Richards would be your best starting point.
Old 24th November 2011, 03:13 PM
Friend

Most common instant water heaters seem start at around 35deg, which could then go through a mixing valve to bring it down to 20. Not always very consistent though! But the cheaper way to do it.
If price is no object then the Eemax water heater that you can see on Richard's web site is about the only option for domestic electric set up, but very pricey.
Old 24th November 2011, 03:17 PM
Friend

this one works down to 20degC. But for B+W I don't think its necessary to have one of these heater units. Colour is a different matter.

Old 24th November 2011, 03:19 PM
Friend

Jobo used to make a mixing valve setup to go with their auto processors. If you are really lucky you may find a S/H one but that could take forever.
Old 24th November 2011, 03:23 PM
Friend

Oh and don't forget that if your cold water supply ever goes above 20degC there is nothing these mixing units can do about it. So B+W in the summer may always require icing water to get the temp you want.

p.s. I think the Jobo auto processors only run at 24degC and above but I could be wrong about that.
Old 24th November 2011, 03:43 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argentum View Post
this one works down to 20degC. But for B+W I don't think its necessary to have one of these heater units. Colour is a different matter.

You'll also need a 3 phase electric supply for these!
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies