Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Member Organised Functions > Sale or Wanted

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 7th September 2020, 11:11 AM
Friend

if there is something i want to buy ,and its a large amount of money I get in touch with the seller and make them a reasonable offer ,and see what they say ,if he says no I can still bid if I want it ,for that Devere i would offer him £500 and see what he says ,any money you can save is a bonus good luck ...
Old 7th September 2020, 11:39 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by big paul View Post
if there is something i want to buy ,and its a large amount of money I get in touch with the seller and make them a reasonable offer ,and see what they say ,if he says no I can still bid if I want it ,for that Devere i would offer him £500 and see what he says ,any money you can save is a bonus good luck ...
good idea - but trying to decide if I should go for one of these or a Mark 4
Old 7th September 2020, 03:31 PM
Friend

The enlarger you've linked to looks in great condition. I don't know what advantage the MK IV would have over and above the older model?

If you think about it, you do get quite a lot for your money with an enlarger when compared to a camera.

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950
Old 8th September 2020, 06:44 AM
Moderator & Keeper of the Calendar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faraz View Post
A 504 just popped up on eBay
Looks to be in good condition. Any one able to advise on the particular model vs a Mark 4 Dichromat? Theres a big price difference, but I'll only buy it once and am willing to pay more if its worth it.
Hi, It looks like a Mk3 head often called a “Bread Bin” head. When I bought my 504 it had one fitted. Mine was not in a good state and the dials were stiff and hard to set. The lighting for reading the dials is by optic fibres so are only lit when the lamp is on. They were too dim for my eyes. After attempting to free up the dials mechanism by lubricating which did help a little I gave up and bought a dedicated De Vere MG head. Not really happy with that, it was made for MG II, I eventually bought the Mk IV head which I now use.
Cannot really comment on the price but I paid £155 for my initial set up maybe 10 years ago and I have sourced negative masks, spare lens plates and 2 heads for less than they are asking for that machine. On the plus side that one is in far better cosmetic condition than mine.
I sourced all my extra bits off eBay and when my Mk IV head came there was also the Transtab, a voltage stabiliser and a spare timer so I have those in reserve as spares.
I think you need to decide how much you are prepared to pay and buy accordingly. That head will do the job it is just what condition the filter dials are in and how easily that can be set. It would be best if you could physically see the machine before buying and try it out.

Good luck if you decide to buy they are excellent machines once set up and highly recommended.

Bill
Old 8th September 2020, 09:00 AM
Friend

Made the seller an offer, though quite a bit lower than he's expecting. Lets see, would be an easy pickup, only 30mins from me.
Old 27th September 2020, 05:53 PM
Friend

I find development to be the limiting factor in my small darkroom. Fitting those trays in my sink.
Old 27th September 2020, 07:20 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faraz View Post
Made the seller an offer, though quite a bit lower than he's expecting. Lets see, would be an easy pickup, only 30mins from me.
Looks like Faraz' offer was turned down otherwise we'd have heard from him about it I suspect

Mike
Old 28th September 2020, 11:42 AM
Friend

Yes, it would be interesting Mike to hear how it all went.

When I bought mine, I factored in the item being quite close to me and could therefore put in a slightly higher offer than I probably would have done, as carriage wouldn't have to be paid, which would have been quite high for others.

But I got the enlarger, and for a good and fair price in the end!

Terry S
Old 2nd November 2020, 01:20 PM
Friend

Finally got one, a 504 Mark 5 in nice condition, cost me £850 but was close by. Now just got to finish the darkroom, currently building the sink, extraction next and I'm done!
Old 2nd November 2020, 01:37 PM
Friend

Well done , Its a great enlarger ,when I use mine it always makes me want to make the best prints I can ,they are a pleasure to use ...Have fun..

www.essexcockney.com
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies