Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Site Forums > Introductions

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 31st January 2009, 10:13 AM
Friend

Default Good Morning

Hello ....what to say...wll my name is Jack I live in Essex on an estuary and I am in my fifties, been interested in photography for about 30 years, and a few months ago joined an analog photography course at the local college that has fired up my passion for black and white film again, the tutor has a range of personal cameras he brings in each week ..and each week I try and justify to myself why I need one of them ....at the moment though I use an Olympus OM10 with the standard 50mm lens a 28 mm zuiko lens and an old 75-300 Miranda lens....just purchased a yashica mat 124g which I love to just look at sometimes.
I have no darkroom at home but have ideas on how to convert a loft space so I use the college darkroom and chemicals...develop all my own stuff though ..but just use standard Ilford chemicals at the moment .....any tips on how to load 120 film without me screaming at the way it seems to have a life of its own appreciated..well thats about it and I look forward to posting some images soon ...some very high benchmarks on here though...cheers Jack
Old 31st January 2009, 10:27 AM
Friend

Welcome to the forum Jack.

Yes, 120 does seem to have a life of its own but with a little patience is easily mastered, what reels are you using?

Paul

Arena Photographers
Old 31st January 2009, 10:36 AM
Administrator

Welcome Jack, I'm sure you will find the help you need here.
Old 31st January 2009, 10:44 AM
Friend

Plastic spools which I believe came from a high street retailer ...this may seem a silly question but at the moment I have very few prints but lots of negs. can they be posted on here as well as they would be enlarged via a scanner
Old 31st January 2009, 10:55 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by j8kkb View Post
Plastic spools which I believe came from a high street retailer
Plastic reels have to be spotless and perfectly dry. Try scrubbing them with an old toothbrush and soapy water then popping them into the airing cupboard to dry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j8kkb View Post
...this may seem a silly question but at the moment I have very few prints but lots of negs. can they be posted on here as well as they would be enlarged via a scanner
Most of my images have been scanned from negs and they haven't lynched me yet... just don't mention the 'd' word

Arena Photographers
Old 31st January 2009, 11:13 AM
Friend

Default Loading Reels

I nearly gave up the battle with 120 film until I discovered the "Nova Easyloader" from Nova, www.novadarkroom.com telephone 01926 403090. Its a holder onto which you slip on the reel and the the film spool, 120 or 35mm, and keeps everything in order whilst you wind it onto the spool. It is only suitable for the Patterson reels but I wouldn't be without mine.

Tony
Old 31st January 2009, 11:26 AM
Friend

Hi Jack, thank you for introducing yourself.
The Olympus range is a very good one, and whilst the OM10 could be said to be bottom of the range that is really only in terms of build quality, and therefore durability. I got through 4 of them when I did 35mm, but the OM3 I had outlived them all. Wonderful range of top quality lens and accessories available at low prices. The OM1n is also excellent if you can find one in good condition.
Getting films on to developing reels is an acquired art, and as Paul says they should be clean and dry, since plastic ones are prone to jamming if they are not.
As far as displaying negative scans go we would prefer that you show scans of prints, but are pragmatic enough to know that's not always possible. We must insist however that they are not digitally enhanced. I suppose it's worth adding that the forum is not anti-digital, simply pro-traditional. I have a digital snapper,somewhere, that gets dragged out for Ebay and product snaps, as it's the best tool for that job, but not of much interest for anything more.
Old 31st January 2009, 11:55 AM
Friend

Thankyou gentleman for the advice ...I will look into the "nova " as far as the OM10 goes I needed a lens for the camera when I started the course as mine had seen better days and found it cheaper to buy another camera complete with lens ..since then I have seen an Om1n that looks mint and am very tempted...my negs will come posted as seen scratches as well LOL...thanks again for the feedback
Old 31st January 2009, 12:10 PM
Friend

Welcome Jack from another Olympus user. One point to bear in mind re the OM1 and OM1n is that the mercury battery used is no longer available. You can get conversion kits to take silver-oxide cells, and some OM1s have probably already been converted. The OM2 and other OM cameras all use the same SR44 cells as your OM10. You can of course use an OM1 with a hand-held meter (or the sunny 16 rule!) as it's a fully mechanical camera.

RH Designs darkroom equipment : dalesphoto.co.uk
Old 31st January 2009, 12:49 PM
Friend

Hello Jack and a warm welcome to FADU. The Yashica 124G in a nice TLR and I had one new back in the 70s and used it a lot - the 3.5 lens on them is a cracker. It was my first serious TLR.

Neil.

Neil Souch
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies