Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Member Organised Functions > Negative Printing Exchange

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 26th September 2011, 09:13 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
Steve after 5 pages I can't be bothered to go back through it all again but has anyone mentioned cropping and rules on said action? Is the recipient free to crop then print or is it full neg only?

Just a thought

Mike
I'd suggest to do unto the other's as you would unto your own...

Crop away if you wish: anything goes that does not actually damage the neg.
Old 26th September 2011, 09:19 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
Steve after 5 pages I can't be bothered to go back through it all again but has anyone mentioned cropping and rules on said action? Is the recipient free to crop then print or is it full neg only?

Just a thought

Mike
As far as I remember cropping hasn't really been addressed?

But I'm thinking along the same lines as Bob, the printer should have full autonomy to make the print they want without any constraints... Otherwise, the owner of the neg might as well make their own print!

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950
Old 26th September 2011, 10:01 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyNL View Post
As far as I remember cropping hasn't really been addressed?

But I'm thinking along the same lines as Bob, the printer should have full autonomy to make the print they want without any constraints... Otherwise, the owner of the neg might as well make their own print!
I would agree with this as well.

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Old 26th September 2011, 10:59 PM
Friend

Agree - cropping is another tool for the printer; it should be up to the one printing. If cropping improves the image, crop away.
Old 26th September 2011, 11:21 PM
Friend

How far can one go?
What about redeveloping or using a pencil for example?
I will shoot something especially for this, so I don't mind what happens to the negative - the printer really can treat it as their own. But others might not want to be so free with theirs.
Old 27th September 2011, 12:55 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpres View Post
How far can one go?
What about redeveloping or using a pencil for example?
I will shoot something especially for this, so I don't mind what happens to the negative - the printer really can treat it as their own. But others might not want to be so free with theirs.
My suggestion would be anything that doesn't alter the original negative. So no penciling on the negative, no bleaching or intensifying the negative, but cropping and anything done to the print would be fair game.

If I do this I won't be sending negatives I'm overly attached to, but I doubt I'll have time to shoot just for the exchange either so I would like to get it back unchanged and unharmed, barring accidents of course.
Old 27th September 2011, 07:05 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
My suggestion would be anything that doesn't alter the original negative. So no penciling on the negative, no bleaching or intensifying the negative, but cropping and anything done to the print would be fair game.

If I do this I won't be sending negatives I'm overly attached to, but I doubt I'll have time to shoot just for the exchange either so I would like to get it back unchanged and unharmed, barring accidents of course.
This seems to be a fair appraisal.

Steve, maybe it’s getting near the stage when a précis of points raised may help finalise discussion; at least it would remove the need for Mike to read all the posts.
Old 27th September 2011, 08:50 AM
Friend

If I get time this week I'll go through what's been discussed in the threads and draft a list of rules for final comments. We're not far off having a workable solution that can be refined after the first round has been completed.

I'll post the draft here as well as sending out a PM to everyone who has registered for the trial run just in case it gets overlooked.

Steve
Old 5th October 2011, 03:09 PM
Friend

Negative exchanges

This exchange is designed for anyone who likes darkroom printing from beginners to experts and is intended to let members experience first-hand how others interpret their images whilst letting them also play with someone else’s negatives! It should be kept fun and informative and by sharing the results with other FADU members (and passers-by) provide a talking point and a place to share ideas and opinions.

Basic rules

1) The exchange will run on a quarterly basis and is similar in operation to the current print exchange.

2) Members will not be paired and the maximum negative size a person can print will be taken into account when drawing up the list.

3) At the start of each round I will issue an invitation to participate via the appropriate FADU forum for members to register interest and send me a PM containing their postal address and the maximum negative size they can print.

4) All negatives must have been captured in a film camera on black & white film which includes chromogenics (digital negatives are not allowed).

5) The negative should not be of particular value as it may be lost or damaged during the exchange.

6) Before sending the negative each member should print their own interpretation up to A4 in size, cropping is allowed. The negative must not be altered in any way, no pencilling, intensification, scratching, kicking, gouging etc.

7) When the closing date for the round is reached each participant will be sent a PM containing the name & address of a member to send their negative to. The negative should be posted along with the senders name, address and FADU ID.

8) Prints from the negative should not be sent as this will influence the recipients own interpretation. Members should post on the exchange thread when they have sent off their negative to enable me to track progress.

9) Upon receipt of the negative each member will make a print up to A4 in size using any traditional technique they wish but the negative must not be altered in any way. They will of course also be allowed to crop the image.

10) Once the member is satisfied with their results they should mail the print & negative back to the originator along with details of how they made the print (manipulations, paper, developer, toning etc.). A posting should be made on the exchange thread to say it has been dispatched.

11) Upon receipt of the print and original negative each member should post on the thread then scan both their own AND the printers interpretation into a single side by side image no wider than 1000 pixels (and under 200k). The resulting image and notes on how each were made should be posted into the new gallery. This side by side comparison will enable other FADU members to directly compare the two images along with the notes on how each was made1

See the example I’ve posted here…. http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.or...urecomment2614

12) Members will now be free to review and post comments on the images.

1 This could be an issue for some members if they don’t have access to scanner or the necessary software to produce the combined image. A way around this would be to ask at the start of each round whether participants can produce the final resulting image and if not they could mail their prints to me and I’ll do the honours. Any other suggestions are welcomed.

Please feel free to comment on this process and I'll update if necessary.

Steve
Old 5th October 2011, 04:19 PM
Friend

Looks like a good plan to me. Time to take a photo or two.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies