Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Art and aesthetics

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 22nd January 2015, 07:45 PM
Friend

Unless the color is the intended subject of an image, I find excessive color to be a distraction from the subject.

It's a harder challenge to get a good black and white shot, because you lose the crutch of just jamming those saturation and vibrance sliders all the way to the right. You have to focus more on the tone and shape and texture because those are what will carry the shot.

Also black and white film and printing offers a lot of artistic control at all stages without having to resort to digital manipulation.
Old 24th January 2015, 08:21 AM
Friend

I shoot monochrome because I like the artistic look of the finished result. The visual challenges at the time of getting the shot, and then the physical aspects of printing in the darkroom.
I have a digital camera for colour work, family shots etc, but do not take it with me when going out in the landscape with a film camera, so I can just try to think in black and white.

Steve
Old 24th January 2015, 08:06 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Glover View Post
Unless the color is the intended subject of an image, I find excessive color to be a distraction from the subject.

It's a harder challenge to get a good black and white shot, because you lose the crutch of just jamming those saturation and vibrance sliders all the way to the right. You have to focus more on the tone and shape and texture because those are what will carry the shot.

Also black and white film and printing offers a lot of artistic control at all stages without having to resort to digital manipulation.
How true.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies