Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 4th July 2015, 11:21 PM
Friend

Default Being in the right place and some other thoughts

I went to take a couple of rolls of films at a spot I like on the Thames near here earlier today. There is a railway line, which one has to cross. The bridge over it had a few photographers on it, turns out a special old diesel was about to go past. It looked pretty cool actually, like a bridge between old steam and the "modern" diesel. Like an early Japanese motorbike can look. Not that we ever made steam bikes of course, but you get the idea.

Then I had a happy hour or so with my Bronica and sekonic. Got to thinking about books and records on the way home - my other areas of interest - and how they can overlap with photography. I bought a vinyl LP the other day with a camera on the front: Love Shot by Hot Chocolate. I think it's a Hasselblad on the front. Doubtless someone will know. In fiction, there is a fabulous book called "In a land of plenty" by Tim Pears (http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/038540846...oding=UTF8&me=) but I don't know what the camera on the front is. Years ago when I started out in book-selling I read a book called, I think, "the photographer". A work of fiction. The story involved a man who bought a camera and subsequently became obsessed by photography. Eventually he doesn't experience life except through the viewfinder. Finally, in a dramatic finale, he gathers together all his countless prints and sets fire to them, taking a last photograph of the conflagration caused. Thus is his obsession quenched and he is able to move on. If only it were so simple!
I don't remember the author and have lost the book.

Jake
Old 5th July 2015, 12:55 AM
Friend

as I had to get up due to the pain of rheumatoid arthritis ,I went to bed at 11pm wake up at 1am,take loads of tablets wait for the pain to carm down and then go to bed again ,but in the mean time I have a look on FADU .photography is my engine that drives me ,I suppose its a passion if I am not taking developing or printing I am reading about it ,but over the last few years I have been buying photographic books more to look at the photos than to read about them , I like to examine the photos to try and read a story from them ,what came before ,what happened after ,and what was captured in the split second the photo was taken ,I used to glance at a photo, but now I really look at it ,examine all the details ,I even do this to my photos looking and trying to see what I saw when I decided to press the shutter .I feel I can only respond like this to photographs taken the traditional way on film ,so I buy old second hand books ,I have been buying a lot of David bailey books ,and BJP annuals .I still don't know what makes a good photograph , but I can tell when I have got it right .my most important photographs are family ones I suppose ,and I am lucky that I took lots ,are of my mother ,who died some years ago and of my son just after he was born in 1979 and I am still taking ,and now my grandchildren , hopefully these will be kept in the family after I have gone .. well the pain is residing now , so I will have a go at trying to sleep .again good night all.

www.essexcockney.com
Old 5th July 2015, 07:19 AM
Friend

I have 3 passions in my life, Photography, Classic cars, and the heritage of my Island, and they often cross, I enjoy photographing dusty little corners, and one of our heritage sites is the Hamptome county life museum, the kids, and not so young kids, are encourged to pick things up, move them around and learn from them, so I can goe there 2 or 3 times a month and find everything has changed, moved, so more photographs, Other sites also change due to the policy of Living sistory, different people telling you about the past, in fact more photographs are taken around the various heritage sites than land or seascapes during the spring and summer months, Classic cars, the club I belong to is very busy, shows, small and large, runs meetings Ect, and I am the club photographer, lovely old cars just crying out to be photographed, both the complete car and details of the cars, so I get the best of both worlds when out with my old Saab or Ford, I get to show of my car, adn get great shots of great cars.
Richard
Old 5th July 2015, 06:58 PM
Friend

. well the pain is residing now , so I will have a go at trying to sleep .again good night all.

www.essexcockney.com[/QUOTE]
Sorry to hear you are suffering, I also have arthritis in my spine, Tramadol helps but it keeps me awake. Problem is I cannot function properly under the influence, too much brain fog or I would be giving it some all night sessions in the darkroom. Hope you have more good days than bad ones, keep on kicking all the best, Norm
Old 6th July 2015, 11:52 AM
Friend

thanks for the kind words norm ,you know what its like to have an illness that stops you in your tracks ,I have it in my shoulders elbows wrists hands lower back knees and feet ,but as you say we still puddle on ,photography gives me something to think about ,and do to keep my mind active ,you don't have to be a mathematical genus or Geoff capes to put a roll of film in a camera press the button ,and when I am in my darkroom I can sit down and take my time and take my mind of my problems and concentrate on printing the perfect picture (I would be so lucky) I would say it is a great hobby for able bodied people as well as disabled people ,I think I need photography more now than I have ever needed it ,and I would say that FADU and its members are part of my therapy ....

www.essexcockney.com
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies