Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome Film

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 25th March 2020, 05:59 PM
Friend

Can't comment on that but it might be worth noting elsewise this post elsewhere from Matt and Neil.

"This is what I sent via Photrio Conversation to Harman Tech Service:

Hello everyone,
I hope that you are well in these extremely challenging times.
I thought I would bring to your attention a disparity between the information supplied by you with respect to the new MGRC and the experience of users as reported in this Photrio thread: https://www.photrio.com/forum/thread...mgrc-v.170874/
Apparently many people are noting that the new paper exhibits a slower emergence time than the older version. This directly contradicts the information from Harman.
Hope this assists, and that you can stay safe and well."

Matt

And this is what I received in response from Neil there:

Thanks for the heads up Matt. Occasionally we secretly hide things just to make sure you lot are paying attention !
No, seriously this is a mistake in the document I'll get it fixed. New Multigrade is slower to induct and to get to full development. (but still within the 1Min we advise for MG Dev)
We have done quite a big study on different developers and time ranges etc.. At some point I'll make this available. Some interesting differences. Quite a notable Dmax increase particularly in Bromophen for MGV (sorry MG Deluxe ;-) )

Thanks for the concern also, its a dynamic situation and something different seems to get announced every day!
Hopefully you are ok too.

Feel free to copy and paste any of this.

Kind regards,

Neil
Old 25th March 2020, 09:05 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miha View Post
Can anyone comparing the two comment on base thickness? There are users' reports saying V is thinner.
According to the boxes they are both 190gsm, so they are the same. More fake news I fear.
Old 25th March 2020, 09:16 PM
Friend

Default Development time.

Commenting on Bill Cowan's post at the top of this page I agree the image takes longer to first appear, but then it seems to just gradually darken until final development.

The development time has been commented on as being longer than the MG1V, but I always developed MG1V for 90 seconds anyway and will continue to do so. Having used it for less than a week, but this is long enough to form my opinion that the quality of the MGV is far far better than its predecessor
Old 25th March 2020, 10:19 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by John King View Post
According to the boxes they are both 190gsm, so they are the same. More fake news I fear.
John, I think this story of MGV being thinner that Miha has reported to us comes from Photrio and was just from a couple of posters who gave no evidence other than a "feeling" . Almost unbelievably I cannot recall anybody either asking what the respective weights were or anyone stating as you have done that both boxes carry the same information on weight and then asking if the posters believed that Ilford had at best made a mistake or at worst was deliberately lying.

Mike
Old 26th March 2020, 08:20 AM
Friend

Quote:
They can be of the same weight but not necessary of the same thickness.
Old 26th March 2020, 08:25 AM
Friend

I tell you what. I will get my micrometer out of the garage and measure the thickness of separate sheets of MG4 and 5 and that will give a definitive answer. But in the meantime I can say they feel the same to me.
Old 26th March 2020, 08:36 AM
Friend

Quote:
I tell you what. I will get my micrometer out of the garage and measure the thickness of separate sheets of MG4 and 5 and that will give a definitive answer. But in the meantime I can say they feel the same to me.
That would be great indeed!
Old 26th March 2020, 09:05 AM
Friend

Here is the result. BOTH papers are .24MM thick. 4 sheets together are .96mm. I cross checked the measurements using a Vernier electronic calliper and the results are the same. ..., so I think that answers that question.

Next please.
Old 26th March 2020, 09:23 AM
Friend

Good job, John!
Old 26th March 2020, 11:00 AM
Friend

For me John I find the MG5 print too severe or contrasty and I feel a person would get tired at looking at it. Going back to the MG4 print is a relief to my vision. Then I think perhaps a little longer exposure would add more impact to it.

Vincent - Not afraid of the dark
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies