Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment Manuals > Manuals Discussion Forum

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 18th November 2012, 11:47 PM
Friend

Default Can't open any manuals - help

My problem isn't peculiar to enlarger manuals but I couldn't find anywhere better to start the thread. I have tried to open any and every file in the manuals section and so far I can only open Xpres' Durst Manufacturing Dates

With all the others it says the file is corrupted so key to the problem might be the difference between the file I can open and the rest. I have downloaded the latest version of Adobe and tried the "repair installation option. It has made no difference.

OK as things stand I don't actually need access to any manuals but might in the future

Can any computer literate FADUer take me through a process that might correct things. In words of one syllable please!

I use Google Chrome to access the web

Thanks

Mike
Old 19th November 2012, 12:52 AM
Administrator

Hi Mike.

The only thing I notice is that that PDF is relatively small at only 141kB.

If not already tried, try downloading the file instead of opening it directly from the link. I'm not that familiar with Chrome (I use Firefox mostly) but usually clicking on a link offer you the choice to open or download. Alternately, a right-click with the mouse on the link may give you the option to "save link as..." or similar. Once saved, try opening them from Acrobat Reader.

Cheers, Bob.
Old 19th November 2012, 09:04 AM
Friend

It may be a board sotfware issue or an incompatibility of the type of PDF. There are some issues with links on other Vbulletin forums.

The PDF in question trys to open in a new window and fails (with Auroa), howver if you check in the downloads folder and history each time it's already been downloaded & saved.

Ian
Old 19th November 2012, 09:24 AM
Friend

I've just tried opening one in chrome. A little box appeared which said this type of file can harm your computer abd did I want to keep it. I said yes. There was then another small box in the left hand lower corner with the file name. Clicking there opened the pdf in a window in chrome.
edit: In fact it opens in adobe reader...
Is this the same process when you try and view a pdf?
Old 19th November 2012, 11:29 AM
Friend

Xpres yes that exactly what happens but when I try to open it it says the file is corrupted.

Lostlabours In my case I can find the pdf in my downloaded file so it has been saved but when I try to open it there it just repeats that it cannot because the file has been corrupted.

So I assume my Acrobat Reader tries to open the files but gives up when it "detects" the file is corrupted and says it cannot be opened

I have successfully got other files which can be opened which I have got from either FADU or APUG. One of which is the PCA061 Paterson/Philips colour analyser instructions

Was the above a FADU download?

Mike
Old 19th November 2012, 11:31 AM
Friend

you could also try an alternative pdf reader - I use the free Foxit Reader
Old 19th November 2012, 11:44 AM
Friend

I have just checked on FADU manuals and the PCA061 is definitely one of FADU's. As I said I have it in my files but when I found it just now in the FADU manuals sections I tried out of curiosity to download it again and got the same file corrupted message

So I was once able to download and cannot now which suggests something has changed at my end but I have no idea what.

Mike
Old 19th November 2012, 11:58 AM
Friend

suggest you try installing the latest acrobat reader from adobe.
Old 19th November 2012, 12:44 PM
Friend

There is a pdf viewer extension that you can add to chrome giving you the option to view the file in an open tab using google docs. Interestingly it doesn't work with the way the forum software shows attached pdf files. The only way is to download the file and open it in a seperate viewer.
Old 19th November 2012, 01:50 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpres View Post
There is a pdf viewer extension that you can add to chrome giving you the option to view the file in an open tab using google docs. Interestingly it doesn't work with the way the forum software shows attached pdf files. The only way is to download the file and open it in a seperate viewer.
acrobat reader has its own option to allow opening inside a web browser or to open acrobat reader and view the file in that. Personally I favour the latter as that means I can close browser and still have file open with all reader options.

I guess the problem is chrome related but could be a host of security related settings if user has been fidling with settings they don't understand.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies