Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Site Forums > Introductions

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 29th July 2022, 12:43 PM
Friend

not sure if these pics are any good but there is a bunch of film reels like this I need to view / decide whether they're rubbish or of sentimental value and worth keeping.
The old family member apparently had a keen interest in films and film equipment - I'd need to drag it all out of the garage to photograph it in it's entirety which I will do soon.
Attached Thumbnails
pic2.JPG   pic1.JPG  
Old 29th July 2022, 07:17 PM
Administrator

I know nothing on the subject myself, but a quick search says the Bolex SM80 is a super-8 sound projector.
Old 29th July 2022, 07:20 PM
Friend

Provided the projector still works, the film can simply be viewed by being projected on a plain wall or even a bed sheet hung up.

I have no experience of sound cine film, but if you have the instructions in the box I guess it should be self explanatory, or as Bob has done a Google search may well show something up.

Ian
Old 29th July 2022, 07:27 PM
Friend

quick google turned up this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuxhA5VGoyw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4D8_z2nFBnM

Ian

Last edited by CambsIan; 29th July 2022 at 07:30 PM.
Old 15th May 2023, 10:20 PM
Friend

Hi all! Really tardy reply on this so apologies and thanks for your input thus far.
My In-Laws are sadly not doing too well (dementia) so I'm trying to focus my attention back on this. Basically I'd like to be able to view the content of all of the (many) reels of film here in the hope there's some sentimental stuff somewhere they'll enjoy (and remember).
My biggest challenge is time at the moment, But I'd like to try and figure out how to load a reel and see if the projector (lamp and motor work) can display the content so I can then take the projector to their house with any film which may be of interest

Problem being, I doing know how to do it. (But could learn)

There's so much content it'd probably cost a fortune for someone to digitize it all - for all I know 90% of it could be unusable / not relevant hence giving it a go myself if someone can put me on the right track. Basically teach me how to load film into this projector...

I have researched this on You Tube etc in depth (thanks for the suggestions above) but have hit an impasse as I don't have the experience on how to load the film onto the projector. And they're larger reels than the 5" "scan to SD card" suggestion above.

Thank you in advance for any help (based in Surrey!)
Attachments Pending Approval
File Type: jpg 20230515_140142.jpg
File Type: jpg 20230515_140307.jpg
Old 16th May 2023, 09:29 PM
Friend

EDIT - found a (german) video on you tube which helped me load the film into the projector....! Progress!
Old 17th May 2023, 10:37 AM
Friend

The projector looks like it does Super 8 films and possibly also Single 8. There is no difference for projection. All you need to do is make sure that none of your film is Standard 8 which was an older format. I don’t think this projector will work for that. The difference in the film type is easy to spot. Super 8 has a very small, narrow perforation. Standard has a much larger, more square perforation. I mention this only in case there is a mixture. Some projectors were capable of taking both, but if that is the case with yours there will be a switch saying Standard/Super or similar.
The other thing you need to look out for is the size of the hole in the centre of the reels. Super 8 uses a larger hole. Dual gauge projectors have removable plastic inserts on the reel spindles to convert between reel types.
When you place a reel on the spindle make sure you lock it in place. Some have a little latch, others a sprung clip, but whatever check it’s locked on as they can fly off otherwise.
The full reel goes at the front with the arm folded upwards. The film should come off to the front, you pull it under the reel and back towards the machine. There will be a slot above the lens. Put the end of the film in here. There should be an empty reel that goes on the rear arm, again locked on. The projector will have a switch to start the film running. I think this machine will automatically thread the film onto the take-up reel. If the film comes out at the back and doesn’t connect with the empty reel, turn off and manually wrap it around the reel. Switch on and check it is still attached. The lamp can then be switched on. You focus with a knob near the lens. Zoom is achieved by turning a ring on the lens itself. There will also be a framing adjustment knob near the lens. This puts the picture in the centre of the frame.
When your film finishes you have to rewind it onto the front reel. Some projectors allow two ways of doing this. One is through the film gate which is the same route the film has travelled. This won’t work if the film has come right off the front reel. If you want to use this method you should stop the machine before the film detaches itself. This method is more for reverse projection as it is slow for rewinding. For a fast rewind, allow the film to leave the front reel and come right through to the back reel. Take the loose end and lead it up over the projector and attach to the front reel. There is a guide on the top of the projector that the film passes over. Once secured to the reel, switch on reverse running and the film will rewind itself. You can switch the lamp off for this.
It helps to have the motor running for a short time after the lamp is switched off to allow the cooling fan to reduce the lamp temperature. This is meant to prolong lamp life.
Sometimes projector drive belts fail. The machine switches on but nothing moves. Replacements are available quite cheaply. There is a seller on eBay who has many different types available. If you need one, search eBay for Bolex SM 80 drive belt and you’ll find him.
If you decide that the material is of no interest, old film sells on eBay, as do the plastic reels.
I hope you find something interesting, and have fun watching the films.
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies