Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Print Finishing

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 16th November 2021, 02:23 PM
Friend

Default Fibre and RC Mounting Tissue.

In the seventies I was given some oddments of dry mount tissue and successfully mounted some 8 x 10 prints using nothing but a few pieces of card, cartridge paper, and my mothers old domestic iron.
It was all a bit off a faff, but it worked fine.
I have recently been given some more. The only information scribbled on the envelope is "dry mounting, double strength."
Is this a reference to double weight paper?
Also, I have read that different tissues were available for fibre or RC papers.
What is the difference?

Cheers.
Old 16th November 2021, 04:08 PM
Friend

Nat, in The print, Adams says "Note that the dry mounting of RC papers, Polaroid Land prints and color prints usually requires a special low-heat tissue and short pressing time to avoid damaging the print". I don't see any reference to varying "strengths" of tissue. If you haven't a copy of the book, I'll happily pm you photographs of the relevant section.

My copy of Coote doesn't answer your questions.

This is something I've never done; so apologies for butting in, so to speak.
Old 16th November 2021, 06:30 PM
Friend

Hello Michael.
I have four old suitcases full of books in the loft. There is a copy of The Print in one of them.
I shall get up there tomorrow and fish it out.
I had forgotten all about it.
Thanks for the pointer Michael.

Cheers.
Old 16th November 2021, 08:04 PM
Friend

Lion Picture Framing in Birmingham sell a low heat mounting tissue it's good for RC or FB papers, they sell online.

I still ahve a few boxes of Ademco tissue from the 70's but it needs too much heat for RC papers. I think the term double strenght was the strength of the bond rather than for double weight paper.

Ian
Old 16th November 2021, 09:07 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostlabours View Post
Lion Picture Framing in Birmingham sell a low heat mounting tissue it's good for RC or FB papers, they sell online.

I still ahve a few boxes of Ademco tissue from the 70's but it needs too much heat for RC papers. I think the term double strenght was the strength of the bond rather than for double weight paper.

Ian
The strength of the bond came from the tissue which was a sandwich between two layers of shellac. It needed longer in the press for it to work properly. In the days of fibre paper that was the only mount adhesive I used. I never had one come detached from the mount - unlike spray adhesive.
Old 17th November 2021, 02:45 PM
Friend

According to an Ademco advert the Double coated mounting tissue was for Linen, Whatman board, wood, and other difficult surfaces.

My Ademce dry mounting tissue doesn't say doulbe coated on the box, it came with a dry mounting press after our two local newpapers amalgamated. Like you John I never had a print detach. I'd add that it's the same with the newer low heat which are suitable for canvas mounting and have excellent adhesion, so more akin to the old doulble coated tissues..

Ian
Old 17th November 2021, 04:41 PM
Friend

Thankyou everyone.
I dug out the Adams book and with the information from you chaps here am back on the road to dry mounting again.
Cheers all.
Old 9th May 2023, 06:22 PM
Friend

I'm going to be making more fibre prints soon, I have a full roll of dry-mounting tissue bought 10 years ago, but have lost any local access to people with dry-mounting presses. Even those mounting presses that people offer on EBay are typically not working because the heating element is gone. Any suggestions ?
Old 9th May 2023, 07:31 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nat Polton View Post
Thankyou everyone.
I dug out the Adams book and with the information from you chaps here am back on the road to dry mounting again.
Cheers all.
I wish you luck with dry-mounting Resin coated papers The heat needed to melt the adhesive sheet will almost certainly damage the print. Keep dry mounting for fibre based only.

I speak from experience on this. A low setting will take longer for the heat to build up and that will damage the paper coating, a higher temperatures will do the job quicker but believe me it will also melt the coating quicker.
Old 9th May 2023, 08:33 PM
Friend

I really don't see why anyone would need to dry-mount RC paper myself, it hangs very flat and can just be taped to the matt.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies