Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Print Finishing

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 26th March 2015, 08:44 PM
Friend

Default Dry Mounting Tissues

Just coming to the end of a (very old) box of Dry Mounting Tissue sheets (Ademco) which I mount my Ilford Classic Fibre Glossy prints with - using my Ademco 1620 dry mounting press. Of course, this Ademco tissue is not available anymore... so reached for the Lion catalogue and the Silverprint web-site to see what is available. Hmmm, choices.....

Does anybody else out there drymount fibre prints? What tissue do you use? What do you mount onto??
I currently mount onto Colourmount C2671B Barrier card (0.45mm) which works perfectly.
Old 26th March 2015, 09:54 PM
Friend

Don't dry mount often now but always do for one guy I print for, the tissue I use is Unimount on conservation board.
J.

http://real-silver-prints.com/

"I Prefer it in the Dark"
Old 31st March 2015, 07:39 AM
Friend

Hi Darkroom Ted, I like to dry mount any of my prints that are worth keeping. Over the years I've tried everything and dry mounting on a Hardbed/Sofbed press, I feel is the best way to finish a print. Originally I had a small 10x8 press for mounting wedding album prints but the pages were not thick enough to counter the tendency to curve so gave up on the idea for wedding album prints. After giving up with mounting album pages I bought a 24x22 (I think it was) Admeco Hardbed Press, this was in 1991. It cost me £500 with all the bits from Southampton,about 250 miles from home. I sold that when I moved out of my studio in 1997. Eventually I came full circle and bought another one for £30 off eBay last year, yes can you believe £30. Stuff like that is so cheap I have three. A 20x16 Softbed, 22x20 Hardbed and 12x16 Hardbed. I use them for dry mounting, laminating, heat sealing, flattening prints etc. I always think if you have a box of loose un-mounted prints then it's not ideal presentation.
Old 31st March 2015, 09:40 AM
Friend

Here in Germany, it is only possible to buy rolls of dry mounting tissue.

So, the last time I was in London I went to Process Supplies and they found a couple of old boxes of tissue in the cellar - not sure if they have any more lurking down there.

The sales guy suggested that, in future, I should try:

www.hotpress.co.uk who supply Unimount, Vistamount and Artsafe200 - which is approved by the British Library.

On the website the products are listed as 16' or 82' rolls but, when I called last year, they said they were happy to supply cut sheet sizes.

Best is to have a chat with Customer Services on 0845 0700 660 (UK) or +44 117 958 6500 (from abroad).

Bests,

David.
www.dsallen.de

Bests,
http://dsallen.carpentier-galerie.de
Old 4th April 2015, 05:27 PM
Friend

For exhibition purposes I used to dry mount FB prints, but do so no longer due to archival issues. Yes a mounted print is easier to handle and fame and it looks lovely and flat but I can't bring myself to do so anymore. Drying a FB print flat is difficult due to the paper fibres and the emulsion drying for different times but back to back drying and pressing works well enough. Do any other FADU members have other successful flat drying techniques to impart?
Old 3rd May 2015, 10:44 AM
Friend

Long ago someone told me that Unibond brand PVA glue could be used for dry mounting and I used it for many prints, mostly in colour, although a few are B&W. I still have several examples, all on FB paper, 45 years on, and there are no archival issues yet. The dry but untrimmed print was taped, emulsion-down, onto a Formica-topped table, using (brown) Butterfly tape, which prevented the glue from creeping onto the emulsion side. The PVA was brushed on evenly - it may have been slightly diluted - I don't remember. It was dried thoroughly, peeled off the table, trimmed and hot-pressed onto artist's acid-free board, maintain the pressure for longer than for shellac tissue (perhaps to allow for reduced porosity?). The remaining tape lifted off the table when thoroughly wetted with a sponge. I gave the table to one of my sons but it is no longer in evidence.
But genuine Ademco tissue, if you can get it, is much more convenient.
Old 4th May 2015, 11:52 AM
Friend

I've tried various ColorMount tissues which work well at lower press temperatures. Problem I've had is with float mounting it always seemed that some corner/edge would not stick. Switched to Seal BufferMount and haven't had a problem since.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies