Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - Large Format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 14th February 2013, 12:35 PM
Friend

Default Focusing the back element of a Doppel-anastigmat

So I recently found out that I can remove the front element of my Eurynar 135mm lens from my 9x12 camera, doubling the focal length, but I can't seem to focus properly, not in distant subjects nor close ones. Is there any particular range within which I could use the doubled focal length? Has anyone got any experience with this?

Ivan
Old 14th February 2013, 12:56 PM
Friend

Dialytes don't really work split, that Eurynar lens should be very sharp used normally. They had a reputation along with Celors for being the sharpest lenses of their era but with 8 air/glass surfaces were more prone to flare compared to Tessars and Dagors.

The 135mm Eurynar on my 9x12 Orion Werks is an excellent lens. I have a 1.5x add on lens that I tried on anothe Dialyte, a 203mm f7.7 Ektar, but I didn't have enough bellows extension to get it focused.

These Tele & WA add on filters can be found quite easily for not much money.

Ian
Old 16th February 2013, 01:14 PM
Friend

Thanks Ian. I read on an old Ihagee manual that the lens can be used without the front element, as it has a double extension bellows, but can't figure out how to do it. But as you say, the Eurynar seems to be quite sharp even though a bit low on contrast. I wanna try some portraits wide open (f6.5) see what comes out. Do you have any shot taken wide open with yours?

Ivan
Old 16th February 2013, 02:36 PM
Friend

Ivan, apart from some test shots I've not ued my Orion Werks and Eurynar very much. and not at all wide open. So sorry can't help.

Ian
Old 16th February 2013, 07:34 PM
Friend

I have a small Una plate camera that has a 'convertible' Zeiss pattern lens made by Ross. I don't know your lens, and I'm not an expert on these very old cameras, but it seems to have some similarities. You can remove the front element to achieve a different focal length. There is a second position marked on the focussing rack to fix the front standard when using the lens without the front element. If your lens, minus front group, has a longer than normal focal length, then you would probably have to fix the front standard further out to achieve proper focus. The very dim screen on my camera, together with the lack of film in 3.5x2.5" has made it difficult to try using it. I hope you work out a way of using yours for portraits. Your bound to get some interesting results. Alex
Old 16th February 2013, 07:57 PM
Friend

The only similarity is they are both old lenses but of very different design.

The Ross lens is designed to be used split, like a Dagor, however dialytes aren't normally.

Ian
Old 19th February 2013, 12:39 PM
Friend

Thanks Ian and Alex for your replies. I managed to focus using the back element pointing the camera to the ceiling lamp. I guess the lack of brightness of the focusing screen makes it more difficult unless the subject is very bright, just as you mention, Alex. I'll keep trying.

Ivan
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies