Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 10th January 2021, 10:22 PM
Friend

I think the daftest mistake I've made recently was to replenish the colour developer slot in my Nova tank with 100ml of Bleach/fix. I hoped I might get away with it, but no, that was 2 litres of fairly new developer instantly deactivated. Luckily I had plenty more concentrate in stock.
Old 11th January 2021, 10:18 AM
Friend

I was at a friends house taking photos of the new baby, and proud mum and dad.
Background and three flashes set up nicely.
So that I would be clear of the light stands in the small living room I put a 2x convertor on my standard Bronica lens.
Took a couple of readings with the flash meter, and set the aperture.
A lovely couple of rolls taken.
Trouble was I forgot to take account of the convertor exposure factor.
Two rolls of colour print film that I didn't even bother developing.
As a warning,my 2x convertor now has a sticky label on it giving the conversion factor prominently displayed on the barrel.
One big lesson learned though.
Cheers.
Old 11th January 2021, 01:30 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Gould View Post
Made another one yesterday, poured out developer, then instead of pouring in stop I poured in fixer, then after a few seconds poured in the stop for 3 minutes, poured out the stop, did the Ilford wash cycle and put the films up to dry,
Richard
But did you manage to get them back into the fix Richard? And did they turn out well in the end or not?

Terry S
Old 11th January 2021, 02:19 PM
Friend

No, it was after washing when I opened the tank that I realised what I had done,and they were gone, If I had realised before opening the tank I would have re fixed them, but I hadn't fixed long enough to save them, they were stopped but still went black before my eyes I still blame Donald J Trump
Richard
Old 11th January 2021, 02:26 PM
Friend

Apart from some of the already mentioned ones, my biggest mistake photographically, is not having a camera to hand over the years, and so missing many opportunities of what would have made great pictures.

I now try to remember to take some form of a camera with me when out and about, with P+S cameras being the smallest and easily pocket-able, with the least number of controls to get flustered over, if a picture arises.

As is said, 'The best camera, is the one that you have on you'.

Terry S
Old 22nd January 2021, 09:02 PM
Friend

This afternoon got a bit sticky.

One film to develop.
Chucked the tanks second reel out and put everything I needed in the changing bag. So I thought.
Bottle opener on the cassette, cut the leader off, now where's the reel.
Ah, can't find it.
Well there's one on the draining board, ooh and another in the box of bits of stuff I aren't using today 😩
Doh 😣
Stuff the film in the tank and then open the bag and put a reel in.

Turned out right in the end

Andy
Old 11th August 2022, 02:31 PM
Friend

I used to love setting up a telescope and watching the planets and stars.
I would print off a map of the area of the heavens that I wanted to observe . The I added notes of the objects I wanted to see.
Trouble was I wrote the notes in red ballpoint. Trying to read the notes under a red light was impossible. The notes are are invisible under a red torch.

I didn't learn my lesson. I drew a nice chart of Durst filter values for my darkroom wall.
You've guessed it. The brownish yellow felt tip pen was invisible under my s902 Ilford safelight.

Cheers.
Old 13th August 2022, 11:17 AM
Friend

I'd been to Cornwall on holiday with my long suffering wife and was given the day off to go and take some photographs.

Got to a lovely spot, set up my camera, worked out which lens I would shoot with, did all the movements and all the other faffing about that comes with a 5x4.

Got to the point where I was ready to insert a film holder and it was only then I realised I had brought with me on holiday the box I keep all my 5x4 film in and not the film holders - dooh!

In my defence the boxes are almost identical but anyone paying attention for even one second would notice that inside the translucent box were boxes of film and not the film holders.

I never owned up to my mistake and my wife was none the wiser.

Ever since I have since been much more careful about which box I pack into my camera bag.

Martin
Old 13th August 2022, 04:10 PM
Friend

Talking

I have heard about people missing their LF groundglass on location :-)

Normally I am a spotmetering typus, but mistake one now has been:
I couldn't find my spotmeter anymore???

So last week I brought two relatively new-to-me lightmeters to the scene:
Minolta Autometer IV, and Minolta Flashmeter V.

I wanted to know if one of them could replace my spotmeter, and/or if learning lightmetering instead of spotmetering is of any advantage to me.
The other thing was to check the Minolta 5 degree spot tool; coming from one degree measurings I'm not sure if 5 degrees are useful to me.

To my surprise both meters gave totally different readings !

Back home I found that despite of wearing my glasses I have logical issues with reading tiny digital digits where 80 Asa and 8oo Asa may look somehow identically
Old 13th August 2022, 06:07 PM
Friend

Biggest mistake was buying two Graflex Speed Graphics from the US.listed as parts cameras but enough to rebuild one.

The only problem was in arrival one was a Pacemaker Speed Graphic missing its shutter, the other a pre-Anniversary. There were no parts in common so disaster.

However, I realised I could re-build the pre-Anniversary which had been custom modified for Wide Angle use, and it inly took a few days.

Then some missing parts later and the castrated Pacemaker Speed Graphic, minus its nuts never able to perform with its FP shutter again, was recovered (new leatherette).

Ian
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies