Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Member Organised Functions > Meetings

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 16th April 2019, 12:42 PM
Administrator

Default Bromoil Circle of Great Britain

Yesterday Neil and I returned from a superb weekend away in Llangollen at the 2019 annual gathering of the Bromoil Circle of Great Britain.

During the gatherings prints are on show and there is usually a demonstration and/or a workshop organised. All of the group are always very willing to give information and helpful advice on the process.

This year they demonstrated the Bromoil Transfer process. Newly inked Bromoil images are transferred onto an art paper base by a hand rolling press. Beautiful results from a great group of people.

The group would welcome new members so anyone here who has an interested in this process should contact the Circle, their website is here. There is no pressure to join, well at least until you see the images!

Their current website is a little static and the Secretary, Brian Iddon's email address requires changing. If you have any difficulty in contacting them please PM me for Brian's contact details.
Old 16th April 2019, 03:13 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry View Post
Yesterday Neil and I returned from a superb weekend away in Llangollen at the 2019 annual gathering of the Bromoil Circle of Great Britain.

During the gatherings prints are on show and there is usually a demonstration and/or a workshop organised. All of the group are always very willing to give information and helpful advice on the process.

This year they demonstrated the Bromoil Transfer process. Newly inked Bromoil images are transferred onto an art paper base by a hand rolling press. Beautiful results from a great group of people.

The group would welcome new members so anyone here who has an interested in this process should contact the Circle, their website is here. There is no pressure to join, well at least until you see the images!

Their current website is a little static and the Secretary, Brian Iddon's email address requires changing. If you have any difficulty in contacting them please PM me for Brian's contact details.

Barry,

I agree it was a great weekend getting involved with much hands-on practical work, seeing a real Fox Talbot and shooting some film on the field trip to the Abbey.

Indeed, everyone is very friendly and willing to give their time to help others to master the Bromoil Process. I would urge anyone who might be thinking to giving the Bromoil process a try to contact Brian Iddon, or post their queries here, because there is no need to work in isolation with this alt process which has very good UK support.

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 19th April 2019, 06:02 AM
Friend

Default Bromoil work

It is a very very long time since I have seen a good bromoil, or for that matter any bromoil print. When I lived in Sussex we had a small section of the club who did nothing but bromoil work and they were truly magical.

I remember being in touch with one of them, long after moving up north when I was told a particular type of printing paper was being discontinued and they were struggling to find a substitute (Was it Kentmere matt - I can't remember) It was something to do with the paper after the original silver image was bleached the emulsion remained swollen to take the oils more easily.

I remember one print in particular (Long before digital imaging came along) where yellow no parking lines down the side of the road in a picturesque Cotswold village were treated so that these lines were eliminated. Getting rid of them with a normal silver print would have been well neigh impossible.
Old 19th April 2019, 09:00 AM
Friend

John,

The paper that disappeared was Kentmere Document Art (KDA). But any paper that liths usually will make a Bromoil as well. The super-coating on today's papers is the problem but I've seen good Bromoils made on a few of them.

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 19th April 2019, 09:16 AM
Administrator

John, This is indeed a beautiful process. Watching a master of this process is truly magical.

As Neil has suggested, ideal papers for Bromoil are non super-coated, there are still some around that work well, I believe the soon to be produced, Adox copy of Polywarmtone may also fit the bill?

When Colin Westgate lived in Sussex he was friendly with Norman Gryspeedt a great Bromoilist, Colin produced a DVD of his work method.
Old 19th April 2019, 05:28 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry View Post
John,

When Colin Westgate lived in Sussex he was friendly with Norman Gryspeedt a great Bromoilist, Colin produced a DVD of his work method.
I knew Colin when I lived in Sussex, where has he moved to?
Old 20th April 2019, 04:42 PM
Administrator

Colin now lives on Mersea Island in Essex. He is still running photographic tours...

https://www.questphoto.co.uk
Old 9th May 2019, 10:34 AM
Friend

Bromoil is something I have never tried. What papers work best with this process that are currently available?
Old 9th May 2019, 04:14 PM
Friend

There was a link in an earlier thread on Bromoil. It may be that the link is still there on a post in that earlier thread. It strikes me that it might be useful to have a section in FADU of pertinent links which people can view.

It might be even better if FADU was able to "copy " such videos in case they disappear which can happen, I think. However there may be copyright issues and for all I know technical computer reasons why this isn't possible.

Mike
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies