Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 5th April 2015, 01:34 PM
Friend

It's not realy worth the effort and expense of repairing the meter unless it is something simple like a bad contact, I would not bother with a new cell, it would cost more than the camera, just use another meter, a handheld will give better exposure's anyway as these meters were not the best in the world
Richard
Old 6th April 2015, 10:14 AM
Friend

I got the replacement cell from Roger Lean. It was a long time ago, so whether he would be able to supply them now I don't know. Changing it wasn't very difficult. I used those precision screwdrivers you can get easily and I had things like fine nose pliers as I used, at the time, to repair video recorders etc. for a living. Instead of fitting a fixed resistor I used a small preset potentiometer (like a little volume control, but you adjust it with a small screwdriver) as there was enough room.
Oddly enough, I'm just waiting for my Zorki 4K back from Roger. He phoned me just before the holiday to say it was ready. I bought it from somebody who had partially dismantled it and I managed to get it going - that was 33 years ago, but this time it needed the attention of an expert. I first encountered R.L. when he was with T.O.E. the U.K. importers of USSR equipment. Very pleasant and helpful chap.
Old 6th April 2015, 10:11 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by CambsIan View Post
[...] or got any tips on the peculiarities of Rangefinders ?
Because I have seen it today, another general rangefinder 'special' for beginners: Check twice where your lens cap is. If it is still on the lens, you will have a lot of smiling (smirking) faces to photograph, but none will end on the film.
On the other hand if you happen to use a dark filter on your lens (ND or red, i.e.), better wear a t-shirt saying "The lens cap is off, it's a filter"...
Old 10th April 2015, 09:13 PM
Friend

Just remembered something obvious but important.
As there is no mirror in the way, avoid allowing the sun to shine directly at the lens - there's a danger of burning a hole in the shutter blinds!
Old 11th April 2015, 01:53 PM
Friend

I did a You Tube VIDEO on the Russian FED 4 -- click the 'link' to see it -- hope it helps !!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFumyiEeMLU
Old 12th April 2015, 08:41 AM
Friend

Pete I always like your videos ,there always worth a look ,great stuff

www.essexcockney.com
Old 13th April 2015, 02:08 PM
Friend

Hi Pete, Thanks for the link, most informative, enjoyed watching it.

Ian
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies