Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 1st April 2021, 12:12 PM
Friend

Hi Bob,

Yes i'll try reheating part-b once again to see if that changes anything. From there i'll try a new batch in distilled water and keep my fingers crossed.

This issue has been reported on before now i know what to look for and unfortunately fingers are pointing at PF all round as others have sourced from a new supplier and these issues have since gone away.

I'll give it another go before hand and report back.
Old 2nd April 2021, 12:04 PM
Administrator

I use Pyrocat HD (and HDC) in Glycol which keeps for a very long time. I have not had it fail yet but I usually use it within 2 years. However, Part B is mixed in distilled water. I ditch my Part B when it starts to separate out and make new. I have not tried heating and re-stirring it as Bob suggests but that may work?
Old 2nd April 2021, 09:50 PM
Friend

Over the years I've noticed that liquids made up from powdered chemicals (like Ilford powdered fixer) and local tap water (here fairly good) can be very very slightly less than crystal clear at first. Then after weeks there appear fine wispy cloudy jelly-like coagulations in amongst crystal clear solution. Where critical (e.g. film fixing), I would decant the clear liquid. I would use the rest for paper processing.

Interestingly, in my younger years I acquired a Fisons electric still and produced distilled water. When I dissolved the Ilford powdered fixer in that water it was equally slightly less than crystal clear but it never exhibited the process I've just described. It stayed the same forever. I have no idea why.

I need to have a good look at my Part_B. If I remember correctly it's quite clear.

The OP's problem is small slightly diffuse patches of diminished density which is what I had (earlier post). When I had air bells decades ago they didn't look like that, not diffuse.
Old 2nd April 2021, 10:30 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry View Post
I use Pyrocat HD (and HDC) in Glycol which keeps for a very long time. I have not had it fail yet but I usually use it within 2 years. However, Part B is mixed in distilled water. I ditch my Part B when it starts to separate out and make new. I have not tried heating and re-stirring it as Bob suggests but that may work?
Heating was really just a last resort before chucking it and making new - probably won't work as I understand 750g/litre is pretty close to a saturated solution which may be why it tends to come out of solution after a while (but I didn't keep pyrocat hd stock long enough to see that happen myself).
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies