Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome printing techniques

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 1st April 2021, 10:24 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkT View Post
Great. Thank you for all the tips. I also heard that there is a relatively new paper that liths called Retrobrom from Foma.
Foma Retrobrom is a very nice paper but i find it doesn't lith in the usual way. I don't get the same infectious development in the shadow areas so it doesn't give a traditionally 'gritty' lith look. It dries to a nice, warm brown in lith dev. In normal print developer it's a bit to greenish for my taste although toning in selenium improves it. I'm still experimenting with it so watch this space!
Old 1st April 2021, 10:56 AM
Friend

The only failrly recent paper I know of that truly liths (as per the old great lith papers) is Slavich. However, sadly, that's long-gone as well although I did notice recently a camera shop in Dublin still has a few large sheets of the harder grades.

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 1st April 2021, 04:28 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Archer View Post
Foma Retrobrom is a very nice paper but i find it doesn't lith in the usual way. I don't get the same infectious development in the shadow areas so it doesn't give a traditionally 'gritty' lith look. It dries to a nice, warm brown in lith dev. In normal print developer it's a bit to greenish for my taste although toning in selenium improves it. I'm still experimenting with it so watch this space!
That’s a shame. I used to use a lot of Foma paper.
Old 1st April 2021, 04:30 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by B&W Neil View Post
The only failrly recent paper I know of that truly liths (as per the old great lith papers) is Slavich. However, sadly, that's long-gone as well although I did notice recently a camera shop in Dublin still has a few large sheets of the harder grades.

Neil.
I have some old boxes of Slavich but might not be good as they were not stored particularly well. I seem to remember it being very grainy but it suited some images.
Old 1st April 2021, 04:47 PM
Friend

The look I liked in lith prints was that delicate sort of pink colour rather than the gritty look. Then I saw the demo video of Ilford Selenium toner at 1+4 and the look that achieved came very close to that delicate pink look

Mike
Old 2nd April 2021, 08:54 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkT View Post
That’s a shame. I used to use a lot of Foma paper.

The old Foma did lith and bromoil very well, it was also a great paper for toning / straight printing. However, the emulsion was changed a few years ago and the new papers were not the same.

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 18th June 2021, 11:57 AM
Friend

I meant to say earlier, as well as Tim Rudman's site, check out this one for lots of products and info about lith printing:

https://www.moersch-photochemie.de/content/knowhow

Terry S
Old 18th June 2021, 12:49 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanMiguel View Post
Slavich Unibrom.
I just love the look you have acquired with this paper when lithing!

I've just bought some other paper to try out, but have also put a watch on some of it on ebay, in case my lithing gets the better of me!

Terry S
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies